Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichol

Baseband Member
my Windows 98 SE OS have a problem. sometimes when i open My Documents folder (at desktop), a dialog box appear "windows explorer has performed an illegal operation and the windows will be automatically shut down". hmmm.. i don't know what's wrong n i need ones to solve this. Does anyone know?

If I remember correctly this indicates that 2 separate programs have accessed a ram address at the same time causing this error. I'm not real sure though it's been along time since I've seen that damn message!! Use to happen alot to me. I don't really think you can do anything about it besides maybe an upgrade to Win XP. Maybe someone else knows this better than I that can help ya out. Just my 2 cents worth!! :confused: Good Luck!!

maybe if you got another copy of explorer.exe (make sure it's a Windows 98 SE version) and replaced the one you currently have
you can't directly overwrite explorer.exe but if you cut and paste your one somewhere else from C:\Windows (it does - or should work when it is running the OS) then you can copy the newer explorer into it since you will not be overwriting anything. when you reboot it should be fine
If this does not work you can boot to DOS and then you can cut, copy and paste files like this
>cut "C:\Windows\explorer.exe"
>paste "C:\
>copy "C:\ - directory of your downloaded explorer, on a 98 machine your desktop will be "C:\Windows\Profiles\username\desktop\" replace username with... well, your user name

Hey Nichol let us know if Apokalipse's fix works. I was just told to live with it back then. not that I actually know of anyone that is still using Win 98.;)

Put in your win 98 cd and close if it triesÂ’s to auto run.

Click start, Programs, Accessories, System tools, System Information,

When the box comes up click on Tools, System file checker. Leave

The scan for altered files checked then click start or scan.

When it finds a file that is corrupt it will ask you if you want to replace it click yes.

Now I canÂ’t remember if it asks you if you want to backup any files before you make

any changes if it does click yes just to be safe.

Hope this helps

thanks to all, especially apokalipse, i have try them yet, but i'll try soon. thanx..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom