Help on Computer Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

surplusbc

Beta member
Hey everybody,

I'm just looking for a little advice here. In January, I purchased a computer for 500 dollars.
The specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP2200+ , 1.8 GHz
256MB PC2700 DDR
52x CDRw
80GB Hard Drive
64MB AGP Video
10/100 NIC / Sound / 56k
Floppy / Keybd / Optical Mouse / Spk
WinXP Pro and Norton Antivirus
1 Year Parts & Labor

So, there were a lot of issues I won't get into, but, the only crucial information for this post is that I did not get an AMD Athlon XP2200+ , 1.8 GHz processor. Instead, I rec'd AMD Duron 1.2 Ghz (which, inside it says it's a 2200+, so maybe it's a AMD Duron XP2200+, 1.2 GHz processor). I also rec'd 80 GB because 60 GM was not available the time.

The time has passed for returns and because I paid via paypal(the owner claimed his credit card machine was down), getting a refund through my credit card company is near impossible because 1) I have no proof of an attempted return and 2) the credit card company would investigate paypal, not the store I bought it from.

So, my only real concern is 1) I don't want to lose money on this investment 2) when I click on the icons, there is a delay in how long it takes for the application to start up.

I talked with the owner and he still claims to not have AMD Athlon 1.8. He claims he's losing money on this and I basically bought the system at cost.

He has offered 2 solutions:

1) He'll give me an additional 256 MB in memory and overclock the 1.2 Duron.

2) He'll give me a Sempron 2400+ 1.8GHz, but it will cost me an additional $40.

Additionally, I can continue to fight the good fight, but the truth is it looks like I'm not going to win.

So, is $540 a lot for this kind of computer? Should I instead take the extra memory?

The only thing I'm looking for is to not overpay and to make sure when I click on an icon, it comes up quickly. These delays are a bit absurd.

Your advice is much needed and much appreciated.

Well #1 have you reinstalled the OS since he has gave it to you?

I would go with the ram, since 256 isnt enough for today's PC's

Regarding the memory... I'm told it's cheaper for me to get more memory than trying to buy a Sempron 2400+, or, by overclocking the Duron 1.2.

Regarding suing... either this guy has b*lls of steel, or he is a great thief. I've put big threats in front of him and he didn't budge. Right now, my credit card company refunded my money, pending an investigation, but since I paid via paypal (owner said his cc machine was down), the credit card company has to investigate paypal, not the owner.

I'm just trying to recover any loss. If you had a Duron 1.2 and 256 MB Ram, would you opt to pay 40 bucks to get Sempron 1.8 Ghz, or, take the RAM. The boot up is slow and if I try to open up 3 IE's simultaneously, it takes awhile for all 3 windows to be open and functioning.

I haven't tried to re-install the OS, but I will once the investigation is closed. I don't want to make it faster if it's going to help the owner out.

How's the pricing? By that I mean, the specs I wrote, plus the new Sempron for a total of $540.

Just out of curiosity, my total was $540 for the following new computer:

AMD Sempron XP2400+ , 1.8 GHz
256MB PC2700 DDR
52x CDRw
80GB Hard Drive
64MB AGP Video
10/100 NIC / Sound / 56k
Floppy / Keybd / Mouse / Spk
WinXP Pro and Norton Antivirus
1 Year Parts & Labor

What could you have done for 600?

A good SKT A mobile, maybee NF7
AMD 2400+ \ 2500+ mobile and OC it to compete witha 3.6 GHZ p4
2x 512 Meg VALUE RAM PC3200, you have your FSB up with the ram and use the multiplier for the CPU
a 6600GT
Some hard drive
Cheap case
Thermaltake TD-420 AD
10/100 NIC on mobo

Monitor and OS are up to you :)

i built
1.8ghz p-4
1gig ram
fx 5600 ultra eVGA
80gig hdd
5 case fans
aspire x-infinity
450w generic psu

built the whole thing for $510
overclocked to 2.3ghz and gfx card is at 500mhz/850mhz

so ya i think you got ripped off
i wouldnt have paid more than 350 for that

surplusbc said:
Great. Way to make me feel like an idiot.:mad:

Eh you didnt get totally scammed

We all have bought something for more than we should have at one time or another, considering it comes with XP PRO as long as it's not pirated that's a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom