slower WINXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

oileruis

Baseband Member
when i shutdown my pc, it takes several minutes to do that...i´ve tried to close all the programs first, but it doesnt work....z..
i run unistaller 2004 (reg cleaner option) to delete all the trash entries or unnecesary registry....
what i have to do l.

Is it just slow shut-down, or slow all around? Wayne's suggestions are good ones. I have a checklist for basic maintenance tasks:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Periodically empty the browser cache and the java plug-in cache

-- Download Diskeeper and defrag

-- Download, update and turn on SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard (or your spyware removal tool of choice).

thanks all of u..but i tried with all of these...(spyblaster but)
Its just a slow shut down...(it takes 1 min)...when i bought my pc(5 months ago), this process took 5 sec(max.)....
i defrag my hdd, clean up all the unnecesaryr files, temp files, cookies, ie files(unnecesaries)-...

How full is your HDD? Your system will naturally slow down once you reach around 50% full. If is is more than 50 - 60% full I would suggest a larger HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom