Is my P4 in danger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
waynejkruse10 said:
If that was a desktop, id be slightly concerned. But since its a laptop - no worries.

What does it matter if it's a desktop or laptop? Isn't 59ºC the same in either? I mean if that temp would fry a Northwood core in a desktop then wouldn't it do the same in a laptop? I'm gonna try to not worry about it. Everybody else is cool with it and so far my comp runs just fine so no big deal I guess.

Really though, why does it make a difference if that temp occurs on a laptop or not?

well with a laptop you cannot add cooling systems to it cheaply and easily so its not such a bad temp for a laptop. But for a desktop it is quite easy to add a extra fan or better heatsink which inproves life of your components and lets you overclock better.

Honestly that is TOO hot even for a laptop, the maximum temperature should be 66 or possibly 70

Honestly that is TOO hot even for a laptop, the maximum temperature should be 66 or possibly 70
Yeah and didn't he say his was 59C max? lol so it's below what you are saying is too hot.

Laptop CPU's are allowed to get extremely hot. They have a higher 'death' temp compared to normal desktops. They have to, theres no room for a good heatsink and barely room to move air out of the thing.

Most hit 50's and 60's easily and regularly

EDIT: Do they have prescott core laptops? I shudder to think what those would hit

There is one up at my local walmart, it cost $1500..... and it use's windows xp home..... and has no extra software like word and excel....

Well that finishes it. All the other posts, except for DJ-CHRIS's, were makin me feel better. Now that Nubius has put his two cents in on the matter I know I'm fine. I don't want to hear anything else stating anything to the contrary of what Nubius and the rest said. Even if it's wrong (*cough* fat chance*cough*), I'd rather live in the bliss that is ignorance. BTW Nubius, I didn't know that laptop cpu's had a higher death temp or I would have never worried to begin with. How do they make it so laptop cpu's can withstand higher temps? Thanks for all the info guys. We can let this thread die peacefully now. :dead:

How do they make it so laptop cpu's can withstand higher temps?
Well, I don't know the process that goes into it, but it's like the prescotts how they run hotter than any other core and can stand it.

A normal desktop chip has a death temp of like 80C where a laptop will have 90C or so.

They HAVE to make them that way simply because likes been said, laptops are so cramped, with barely any air movement, and god knows how big the heatsink is (never looked inside myself) so if it couldn't stand higher temps, then laptops wouldn't be common to say the least lol

gee UnIt all these people are lieing to you because they want your laptop to die!!!

THAT IS WAY TOO HOT, YOUR PROCESSOR IS GOING TO MELT VERY SOON AND POSSIBLY YOU RISK BURNING YOUR LEGS CLEAN OFF!!! EXPLOSION DAMAGE TO THE FACE ALSO POSSIBLE!!!
OMG YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, SAVE YOURSELF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom