Is my P4 in danger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit

Baseband Member
After reading a bunch a threads about people's rigs and temps and such I decided to download a temp monitoring program. I tried mbm5 but my board isn't supported and I couldn't get it to work. So I downloaded speedfan. It works as far as giving me the temp but it doesn't detect the speed of my fans. My computer is an HP Pavilion ze5000 notebook. It's got a 2Ghz P4 Northwood with 512Mb of ram. During idle the cpu temp sits right around 44ºC and during web browsing it climbs to 46ºC. No big deal right? Well when I run it under a full load the temp climbs all the way up to 59ºC. When I saw that I got worried. I did a search on google about normal operating temps for a Northwood core. All I could find was some thread where a guy said that on stock cooling the average temp should fall between 28ºC-55ºC and that at 57ºC you need to begin to worry, but it didn't specifiy whether he was talkin about in a tower or laptop or in general. If figured it meant in general. Does that info sound correct though? If it is should I be worried? I've had this laptop for 3 years now and never had a temp problem that I've been aware of (then again I've never known what the temp of my cpu actually was). At one point 1 of the 2 fans over the cpu actually stopped working but the laptop ran fine for the two months it took me to go get fixed under warranty. Both fans work now, 1 constantly runs and the other kicks in when the cpu reaches a certain temp. It doesn't seem to be hotter now that at anytime previously, but 59ºC seems really hot. My question is, am I in danger of fryin the cpu and if so what can I do about it?

Thanks

As stated above, anything below 60 degrees is absolutely nothing to worry about. The CPU will operate safely until it gets past mid 60s IMO.

Sweet!! Thanks guys, I feel better now. I bet it could probably use a cleaning though. I've never opened it. I tried when the fan quit working but I couldn't figure out what the trick was and I didn't want to force it. Does anybody know what exactly you have to do to get an HP pavilion notebook open?

Thanks again for putting my fear to rest.

I wouldn't open it... especially if you don't know what you are doing. Plus it will void any warrantee on the thing.

dale5605 said:
I wouldn't open it... especially if you don't know what you are doing. Plus it will void any warrantee on the thing.

yea, don't open it, it'll be a pain in the ass to try to close it

juh juh juh juh juh juh jeeeeeeeeeee unit

ok, sry i had to do that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom