Recording off Dish DVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Here's the situation... I have a Dish Network DVR and I have recorded a number of shows and movies on it, but the hard drive is near full. I want to record more, but I can't with the hard drive being full. So what I want to do is be able to record off the DVR using my PC's DVD Burner. Normally I would use a DVD Burner meant for the home theater but I can't aford one of those, being $300-$400. So, is it possible to record off my DVR using the Burner in my PC, and if so whats involved in it, and what do I need? My system specs are listed below.

Yuo could always take the hard drive out and replace it with a bigger one, also when u have it out copy everything!

I don't own the DVR im only renting it, and I don't think I would dare take the risk. They would charge me an arm and a leg if they found out I broke it, and im not really into lieing.

as long as you're careful you won't break it, who's your provider and if you own a TV tuner you could output your TV to the card and record that way or even S-Video your tv and get a video capturer.....

Doesn't the S-Video on most graphics cards only bring the signal out, for display on tvs and projectors? You would need software for an incoming signal. So I guess my best bet is a caputure card? Anything you recommend, never used one before?

Does the box have a USB port? If it does try plugging it into your com and seeing if new hardware appears. Also, search Google for the model number and check forums that google returns.

I checked over a few forums, most say to record it to a Mini DV Cam and bring it over to the PC, but they also say the capture card works as well.

If you can run Linux (granted not everyone can) and you do have tvout or s video from the box than you can set up a computer using Linux to read right from the box and record to your computer.

I said running Linux because Linux made a special program just for doing this and from what I have heard it works very well.

The price isnt all that bad either you can run a set up like this for like 300. And the storages is just about endless. Also great for music storage to play through a home theater system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom