Computer will Not Turn ON / POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
follow Samm's advice about clearing cmos. remove the mobo, video card, cpu, and 1 stick of ram from the case, put them on something non-conductive like a stack of magazines or cardboard. make sure the connections are correct and power up your computer. you don't need to install a hard drive, cd-rom, floppy. try to at least get yourself into the bios setup

Yup i am aware that I don't need to have hd, flopy and all that to get into bios. Point beind is that even clearing the CMOS got me no where only prooving the board is screwed.

Get a new board!!! Had this problem too was found to be the PSU destroying the board. CPU was fine after though, but was so old replaced it anyway!

Is your CPU worth saving?

Try a new mobo first as it's most likely fried and maybee the CPU. Now would be a good time to upgrade since you have blown stuff.

Last time this happened to me, entire PC - mouse, monitor and keyboard went.

BTW: What power supply did ths?

Well problem is that this is not mine... I built this for a friend about 2 years ago, he can't really afford to upgrade.

As for the PSU it was the one that came with the case at the time and it was a Cyberzone KC-300 , looks pretty crappy built anyways after i opened it up to look inside.

I should have the new board by tonight, and am just hoping that the CPU is not fried.. The board I ordered is ASUS P4P800-VM.
If the CPU is toast he is not going to be a happy camper.

damaged components can spread to other healty components. if your motherboard is fried by the psu it's possible it also fried your ram, cpu, and all other components. you could possibly be replacing the motherboard and have the damaged cpu, ram, ect spread damage to your new motherboard. the cycle could be endless. I'm suggesting this as a caution, you are taking a risk.

I've seen so many times where people ask for advice on what hardware to choose to build a new pc. it's sad when people choose the most expensive processors and tons of memory yet they choose a cheapo $50 case that comes bundled with a crapo $10 power supply.

Well it was definately the mobo, i replaced it and all is good..

I do understand your point on using a good power supply, the power supply on my Pc's are always some of the best...

Unfortunately it is hard to explain to a friend why they cost so much when they can get them so much cheaper, failing to understand the consequences, well i am sure this guy will not realize it....

I apreciate the help all you have provided.

One last question, we all know that majority of the time swapping the Mobo will result in WinXP not botting up anymore...

I am just wondering if many are successfull by running a repair on it or do you format/resintall..??

Just curious as there is alot of data on the HD..

Thanx everyone... the pc has been fixed up and his back at my buddies house :)

Also upgraded mine :)

I don't have a link to the original site this came from - but here's somehting that has worked for me when swapping a motherboard with WinXP

"This is not mine so I cannot take credit but Andy-S in the Hardware and Drive Support forum passed this one on to me - a must know tweak.

Before you swap out the current motherboard go to device manager and select the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and select your current storage controller. Right click, select update driver and select install from a list or specific location. Click don't search I will choose the driver to install and select the standard dual channel IDE controller.

This will prevent the inaccessable boot device blue screen. I have done this multiple times on different platforms with no problems.

Also I found that booting the first time with the new motherboard is best done in the Safe mode where XP will install the drivers it needs and at the same time you can install the new motherboard drivers from its CD.
This saved me doing a repair or a reinstall of XP. My whole system came right up and worked great and very stable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom