40pin cable works, 80 doesn't! :S!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

project95talon

Beta member
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2500+ MSI K7N2 Delta-L (MS-6570G) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 ACR, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter RADEON 9800 PRO (128 MB)
Power Supply 330W

I'm having some problems with my computer. First thing, when I try to plug my only HD with an 80 pin connector to my primary EIDE controller on the board it never detects. If I use a 40pin cable it detects fine, but gives me a warning msg on bootup. And I am pretty sure the cable works fine, I've tested it with optical devices and they detect.

Are you sure you are connecting the cable the right way round? The connector that goes to the mobo is usually a different colour (normally blue) to the other two.

Also, its not recommended that you use a 40 wire cable on an ATA-66/100/133 drive

To eliminate whether the cable itself is faulty, try connecting it to the optical drives & see if they are detected

project95talon said:
I dont think so, but how can a cable go bad all of a sudden??

Not difficult for one of the 80 wires to get broken internally if the cable gets trapped, twisted or bent, even on a normal flat IDE cable. The round cables are even more fragile especially if you disconnect them by pulling on the wires instead of the plastic tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom