comparison of IDE, SATA & SCSI drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
seagates are reliable :D

to me that is more important than a whole 5mbps...

id rather spend 100$ once for a 120gb hdd instead of buying a 120, have it fail, then buy another one.

for some reason i have bad luck with maxtors (8 failed maxtors grand total, 4 wds, and 1 seagate)

i lost 2 wds to a major voltage spike, and 3 of the maxtors to my idiot friend has his damned Blood Alcohol Level... B4stard...

Well maybe that wouldn't happen if you used a surge protector. I have never in my entire life had a hard drive fail on me, I honestly don't know how people get that to happen unless it's just because they don't use surge protectors. I have bought my last 5 hard drives form Western Digital and all of them are still running and I have not had one problem. I don't know how you can say seagate is more reliable, they just cost more than WD and aren't any faster. WD is probably the best hard drive brand out there right now.

rookie1010 said:
do power fluctuations really mess up a drive? and a surge protector adds life to a drive?
I'm not sure if they can mess up a drive. A surge protector won't extend the life, but it will protect it from being completely broken due to a power flucuation.
I would recommend that you always have your computer and all your expensive electronics on a good surge protector with at least 3000 joules absorption. I have all of my electronics on surge protectors.

Power fluctuations can damage and fry any component inside a computer, not just a hard drive, so it's a damn good idea to invest in a better PSU if you've lost drives to the same PSU from fluctuating rails in the first place.

Generally, you want the rail voltage to remain within 5 percent of where it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom