Heat Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
right.. well in the possition it is in is there anyway it can get fresh air around the case? or is in a cupboard? putin any computer equipment in a cupboard is a big big no no for heat reasons. dont worry about motherboard monitor it is a well trusted program and shouldnt do any damage. ive used it on many computers and only had a bug with this motherboard (reading -56C for sum reason lol)

Well my computer is in the cupboard that came with my desk... However, the back of the cupbard is always open (There is no back towards the bottom of the computer), and the from door I always keep open.

Motherboard Monitor gives me this: "Main Sensor Chip : None" so apparently it's practically useless for me.

Will it uninstall the driver it installed if I click "Uninstall?" Because all I need right now is more clutter. Thanks!

EDIT: I just downloaded and tried http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ and apparently my card has no sensor in it and cannot give me its temperature either. :(

If it is such a place that it takes 30 min to open up, it is probably not in the best position. U should relocate it. And yes, motherboard monitor works like a charm.

Hmmmm. Well I'm not sure where to put it because I have a big desk sort of like this one:

goldenoak0600lg.jpg
except about 3X bigger. It has the keyboard table, a desk (where my monitor, speakers, and papers are), the CPU "cupboard" (Like you see in the picture; except mine has a door. But I leave it open all the time), then it also has a back wall and above that are 4 cupboards where all my books, discs, and boxes are. To the left of the desk towards the top are 3 more cupboards and a disc shelf.

To the left of my CPU "cupboard" is a shelf and another cupboard for storing things (Like you see in the picture to the right of the CPU cupbard). To the right of the CPU "cupboard," my legs, a bunch of wires, and my subwoofer.

Not sure what I can do. :(

Whoa.....lol sorry for not checking in this thread.

Can you give me a quick summary of what you need? There's a few lengthy posts by the other members soooo I just wanted a quick little recap of what has been fixed if anything and what kind of assistance you still may need :D

Well basically my computer is one of those desks like the one I posted so it's not exactly "easy" to open up. But I'm smelling a burning smell whenever I play C&C Generals and other 3D-intensive games (for about 30 minutes) with the new card. I believe I have 2 or 3 fans because I can hear different levels of "fan" whenever I begin to play these games...

I've been shutting it off for an hour after I smell it. But it's got me concerned because I obviously don't want to wreck my machine by letting something melt.

Is this most likely normal or is something probably wrong that warrants me going through the trouble to pull it out and open it up? Thanks!

Well simply put if it's been ages since you opened it up, it's a good idea if you do it and clean it out with canned air. No doubt it's probably a dust bucket in there.

It's not a crazy powerful machine so it shouldn't be getting THAT hot and it should be fine in that desk.

Clean it out, and see if you see any potentially destructive things inthere, like a little burn spot (although lol if you saw that I'd be surprised the thing is running) or basically anything that looks odd from an electronic perspective.

That 9250 really shouldn't be getting hot at all so , damn burning electronics, doesn't seem all that likely, but like I said it's worth opening her up cleaning it out and making sure.

Ok thanks. Last time I opened the case (before I put the card in) was when I isntalled RAM a long time ago. I guess I'll recheck to be sure everything is OK in there.

Well I just pulled it out and opened it up... There was really not much dust at all. I mean, there was a layer on my sound card but that's about it. But I pulled out the airduster and blew all of the chips off anyway. I just aimed in the direction opposite of the chips where there is nothing important to blow the dust on to.

The case has 2 fans. Both of them appear to be around the power source. You would probably know more about what exactly they are fanning.

Heatsink wise, there was absolutely nothing touching the heatsink, however, a cord from the sound card was touching a (I forgot what they are called, they are the things that look like mini-transformers on computer chips). I just moved it a little but it kept going back. So I stuck it so that it's laying on the top edge of the video card rather than on the card board front itself.

Other than that, everything looked OK. I put the cover back on but I didn't put it back in my desk yet.

Think I should try playing C&C Generals again?

Well I think I may have figured out what it was...

My desk's computer cupboard looks like this:

This is if you were looking directly into it. The dark colored area represents the wood "overhang." The white part that makes up the rest of it represents nothing.

So in other words, the cupboard partially has a back but the white part shows the part that goes all the way through.

The problem is that the "back" wood is directly in front of my computer's fan and I had my computer pushed all the way in the cupboard. So there was probably 1 CM of space between the fans and the "back." Maybe this was causing a little heat build up or was just forcing the "exhaust" out the front of the cupboard which is what I was smelling.

That or dust is the only thing I can think of because when I had it out of the cupboard on the floor, I played C&C Generals with HIGHEST DETAIL SETTINGS and there was no smell.

So this time I'm not pushing it back as far and hopefully this will be fine.

Thanks for everything. And thanks again for the card because not only can it run C&C Generals, but it can actually run it on the highest settings.

If I told anyone in the Generals community that I had a 864Mhz PIII with 384MB of RAM running at the highest settings, they wouldn't believe me. Haha. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom