Partition layout/types

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

In Runtime
Really simple one - can someone explain in clear english the difference between primary, logical, physical partition etc. want to make partition for backup of other pc and not sure which one to use.. Thanks

The primary or boot particition is the C: partition. I have never heard the term physical partition. What you can have are logical partitions on a physical driver. For example: One physical hard drive, with three logical partitions, C:, D:, and E:. If you were to go to "My Computer" in Windows, you would see three drive letters even tough you have only one actual hard drive.

The easiest way to add/delete/change partitions without reformatting is to get "Partition Magic." Get that software and it will be very easy.

So to recap: You have a physical drive, and locial partitions on those drives. The main partition can be referred to as the primary or boot partition (C: drive). To create space for a back up you will want to create a new logical partition with the free space on your hard drive.

ok thanks - when I said physical I think I meant extended - can you explain that one aswell - cheers

also - whats the difference between having 3 logical partitions called c d and e or 3 primary partitions called c, d, and e and what are extended partitions??

Slight correction to make to what idiotec said re. C,D & E being logical drives.

The first partition (C: if it's the first hard or only hard drive) is the Primary partition. This must then be made active if it is to be bootable.
The remainder of the drive space, (assuming that primary partition is smaller than total drive capacity), is then partitioned as the 'extended partition'. This does not have a drive letter assigned to it. Logical partitions are then created inside of the extended partition.

ie a partition cannot be a primary partition AND a logical partition, it is one or the other.

to clarify a basic disk can have up to 4 primary partitions and 1 extended partition which is like a container. inside that you can allocate that space for logical drives. for your data backup you can use either type, but generally it's preferable to use a logical drive for storing data since it is not a bootable volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom