Help Asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I offered advice here:
Sport1031 said:
Make sure your monitor works and its all plugged in. Try resetting the CMOS. I had the same problem, but I didnt have onboard video. My PCI card wouldnt work for some reason, so I took it out and replaced it with a new PCI-E and it worked fine. My only suggestion is to try an ad-in video card.

EDIT: Another thought, if it's not beeping, it means the compputer isnt even starting. CPU or mobo could be bad. It should beep if the RAM was bad so I dont think thats the problem. Try swithching the CPU with one that you know works. If that doesn't work, RMA the mobo.

Take out the motherboard and put it on a cardboard box or something otherwise non-electrically conductive. You will need your case nearby so you can plug in the PC Speaker to listen for beeps.

Make sure only the following is connected:

Keyboard
One RAM stick
Graphics card if applicable, but I believe you said onboard is what you're using

Try it out and see if she boots up.

If not remove the RAM stick and see if you hear any beeps.

If you hear beeps then reseat the RAM stick and try booting it again....if it does the same as before where it powers on but no beeps, then chances are the RAM is either still seated wrong or the RAM is bunk.

Same thing applies with any graphics card.

If pulling out the RAM doesn't give you beeps and reseating it still doesn't give you any post, it could be the RAM at that point.....but try to take off the heatsink, pull out the CPU, make sure it's all clean and tidy and reseat the CPU and heatsink.

I know it seems lame because after all the CPU just falls into the socket but trust me I had a computer not boot before and for whatever reason popping out the CPU and putting it back in worked.

Of course if you simply remove your mobo and the thing powers up right away then you were shorting it out in the case.

EDIT: Geez guys get over the POST mistake already. It's not like you knew what POST meant as soon as you were born into the world. Chances are you looked like a noob and asked someone at one point yourself. Give the guy a break

will a PC even power up without the mobo? ive gotta try that...

i once had the same problem like this, turns out my vid card (geforce 2 mx) wasnt seated properly in the pci slot, so it powered up, but no video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom