240 MB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello
I rcetly say a spec of this laptop(fujitsu siemens) say that it was 240 MB, i thought sticks of RAM came in 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1 GB
how is a 240 MB possible?

most notebooks use integrated video. the reason you see 240MB of ram instead of 256MB is because 16MB of that ram is being allocated for the video, which is no problem. unless you are buying this thing for games, which you are probably not.

Sw1tch[fx] is right, that is almost certainly the reason.
As for the 240MB being comprised of a 128+64+32+16, thats rubbish. No manufacturer is going to supply a sytem with that combination of modules in, whats more, laptops often only have 2 or 3 RAM sockets. I have never heard of one with 4.

thats the problem when buying a lower end laptop, they all come with 256mb and integrated video so u loose more ram and by the end of it is just isnt enough to run much stuff on it. if i were u i would get another stick of 256 at least.

when you talk about integrated graphics, you mean some sort of chip on the mobo itself? correct?

and that is using a prt of the RAM?

to upgarde the RAM on the laptop, i guess i would have to physcially open the laptop thus voiding the warranty.

To upgrade the RAM on a laptop, in most cases, you can access it via a panel on the underside of the laptop. It's normally located fairly centrally & will have about 4 screws holding it in place.

You shouldn't need to open the main casing up.

As far as voiding the warranty is concerned, you'll have to read your warranty to find out. Be especially careful if there is a sticker on the panel that will be broken by opening it or it the screw heads have something covering them that will be broken by removing the screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom