Computer keeps restarting by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the XP disk that has the Full install on it,, Explore the cd and run the XP UPGRADE ADVISOR.. this will tell you if all the hardware you have is XP compliant
Does this program need to be run from windows?? I am trying to load windows so if this is the case, how can I run the program?

Perhaps it's because of window XP. It restarts automatically when
one program has a mistake that can't be solved. In this case, in window 98, "blue screen" will appear

Good Point,, some good info here too,,,

On the Hardware Advisor,, it has to run with an OS on it,,, so,, would you be able to install 98 version on it? run the advisor, and will let you know if XP is compliant.,.

On the MOBO issue,, there is a good point,, is the MOBO ACPI compliant,, that info you would need to find in the MOBO manual,, or with a BIOS upgrade that may be posted at the MOBO manufacturer's site...

I still believe that you have a hardware issue here,,,

cheers,

I did used to have windows xp running on this pc before all the problems started. The only things that have changed hardware-wise since then are...

- new hdd
- new floppy drive
- new cd rom
- new case fan
- new cpu fan & heatsink
- new cmos battery
- new winmodem (removed with same results)

All of the other stuff is original... motherboard, cpu, memory, video card, case, power supply. I already tried a new power supply with same results so backed it out. Also, all diagnostics for all hardware components run clean.

Tested the memory extensively, all slots, using the IBM Netvista/Aptiva diagnostic diskette, Each slot took 10 full minutes or so to complete.

Final update...;

Now it won't even boot up. The last thing I did was to pop in my Radeon 9200 in place of the Nvidia video card. It did not boot up but just sits there with the cpu and power supply fans running. I have it 30 minutes of waiting. Put the nvidia back in and same thing. I will have to change the motherboard and or processor & memory depending on what's available.

I asked everyone I know, who has used winXP and almost of them have the same problem.
So I think it restarts automatically to protect its system files.

no winXP does not automatically reboot without warning normally. everyone you know could not possibly have the exact same problem unless it is a widespread viral infection on all of them. your problem is different from their problem.

ask all the people you know to run symantec.com 's norton anti-virus 2004 trialware. have them do a full system scan for virus infection on all hard disks. you may want to do the same thing after you resolve the hardware issue.

i agree 100% with what CrashAbbott said about 16 replies below this. when winXP tries to detect the devices it is hanging while detecting some device on the motherboard. it has to be something on the motherboard.

the netvista computer should be used with only the original windows 98 operating system. You can blame it on winXP or the motherboard, but it really doesn't matter. you should either stick with win98 or buy yourself a new motherboard and anything else you don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom