Limiting CPU Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I backup dvd's frequently, but when I do it, it saturates my cpu usage to 100%. Now I know that is normal, but I'm not liking it. Is their a way I can limit cpu usage to certain programs, like down to 50% or so?

you can set the process priority to low this will lower cpu usage a bit and will make other programs run faster ..
hey you say you have a water cooling system so you dont have to worry about cpu usage!! :)

Water cooling doesnt lower my cpu usage, or make my computer run faster if my cpu is maxed. The program I use to back them up for some reason makes my cpu run at 100%, which is not cool. I'll set the priority though, hopefully it will work. Thanks

If you are burning DVDs, do not limit usage. It is that high for a reason and not letting burning programs use what they need can corrupt your burn (not good, especially on a CD-R). If you are ripping DVDs, then try setting the rip speed lower. The CPU usage is probably high because it has to decrypt the VOB files. Just give it what it needs. A computer with a CPU at 50% is almost as unusable as one running at 100%, and running at 50% only means it will take longer to do whatever is causing it to run at that level. And heat is obviosuly not a consideration... Water Cooling AND 12 case fans?? How do you think with all those fans going (or what do you use for fans... I want some :) )>

Re:

lol...I agree :D. You've paid for the 100% CPU, why not use the 100% processing power when a program needs it!?!?

Well, I gotthe personal cinema, which means I can watch TV on my computer. I dont do much, kind of a loser right now, so I spend all my time in my room watching TV and lifting my weights, etc... Since I am always watching TV, I dont have a chance to really backup my dvd's except for when I'm watching the telly. When watching the telly and backing up my dvd's, I get tons of skips and lags in my television viewing. Am I being too greedy by wanting to do both of these? I can burn dvd's while watching TV with little to no performance loss, but thats not what I'm worried about.

Digital Oracle, about my fans. I've just collected them over time, a good deal of them traveled over from one computer to another with me. I used to work at a computer repair shop, and I would frequently canabalize the old crappy computes that were being thrown out and take the fans. None of them are really that good, I think I may have only bought one or two of them brand new. I've found many ways to MacGyver them up into my case. My water cooling, also used, I bought it from my friend for $20, in great condition too. Not very used at all. My cooling can only get more ostentatious.

Yeah, i could do that. I use DVDShrink. There are not many programs out there for DVD backups that are any good, but DVDShrink is one of the best. I've used wuite a few, and none of them are as good as DDShrink. So, unfortunetely diablo2 (I just have to add that I'm not a very big gamer but Diablo 2 is deffinetely the best game I've ever played) I'm pretty stuck with DVDShrink. since I am very anal about what I use and too stubborn to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom