Very bad problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUCEG

Baseband Member
OK...put together a computer for my friend (i know what im doing ive built 3 computers before). So i get it all together and....when i turn on the power the light on the motherboard comes on but nothing else powers up...so i thought perhaps the 24 pin connecter from the power supply was messed up so i jumped the green and black wires together and what do ya know everything powers up fans and all except for of course the motherboard...when i plug the connecter back in...nothing works...only the light on the motherboard comes on...i donno what to do!
Any advice would be awesome...
thanks

Hmmmm - Make sure the extra P4 connector is plugged in, basics, things like that..reset the CMOS, chances are you might have done this already.

Might not have been good to give power to your HD without it being hooked up to the motherboard though if you left those hooked while you crossed those wires to let the PSU turn on.

Ummm.....reseat graphics card and RAM, if those don't do it, try reseating the CPU.

If all else fails, take the mobo out of the case, lay it on a cardboard box, make sure the case is nearby so you can hook up the PC speaker.

Leave only CPU, one RAM stick, graphics card and keyboar plugged in.

Pull out RAM, see if the computer gives you a beep code, if it does try reseating the RAM, if it still doesn't boot then the RAM could be the problem.

Same thing applies to the graphics card, just follow the above steps.

Good luck

Aright, best of luck man, I've been in plenty of those situations, no fun at all

ATX power supplies shouldn't even turn on if you don't have them connected to a motherboard...

You should try replacing the PSU with a different one as it sounds like it's the source.

i have no idea....nubius i tried everything u told me to try and.....nothing gaara..ive tried replaicng the power suppl with anotherone i had laying around that i know works...still nothing...

ATX power supplies shouldn't even turn on if you don't have them connected to a motherboard...
Gaara - He did a little trick that allows you to turn on the PSU without it being connected to the mobo. As he said in his post he connected the green and black wire (theres a specific two wires one black, on green that you connect).

I made a "test PSU' out of an old 120w, but cutting those wires and connecting them together specifically to test fans and whatnot.

i have no idea....nubius i tried everything u told me to try and.....nothing
All I can say next is try the RAM and video card in a known computer if you can because it's starting to sound like a CPU or mobo problem. If you can test either of those by swapping em with a good system that's also your best bet

ok man thx...well im aggrivated with it now but..ima look into that some more tommorow...if that doesnt work...i might have to bring it to those dumbasses at the computer shop and c wut they think...

Ok at htis point i am really really f*cking aggrivated with this thing...tommorow...it goes to the shop...nubius thanks for trying man i appreciate it..

No problem dude, sucks you couldn't get it to work for ya :(

You tried putting the RAM and graphics card in your computer to atleast rule out the possibilities of it being those? Because then you're just left with either the CPU or mobo being bunk which a quick RMA could fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom