Problem with 9800SE Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between the cards is often the software bundle they come with, and sometimes a different cooler.

Um what the heck are you talking about switching counter strike from opengl to direct3d? Games can only be one or the other. Counter strike is a direct3d game, NOT opengl. Also your fps thing makes no sense, ATI cards before better at direct3d and worse at opengl not the other way around.

Oh and beedubya, actually the x800 xl starts out with .11 micron process, very low heat, and very low clocks. If you get a decent cooler on it, it will overclock a lot more than a 6800 gt will.

Trust me, you can pick the video mode in the options. There are three choices, OpenGL, Direct3D (D3D) and Software. My card runs best on OpenGL which ranges from 40 and 100 depending on action. On Direct3D, its around 10 with no action. If you have Counter Strike, you know, but its typically on OpenGL, which is best. It was made that way because some video cards at the time couldn't handle some modes.

If you want, I can take the screen shot of your choices of Video Modes and email it to you.

My last question wasn't answered lol Copy and Pasted Below

Edit: Also, I check out the list of Radeon x800 XL's, and I found there was multiple types like GIGABYTE, Sapphire, PowerColor (i have a powercolor) Connect3d, ASUS, MSI, and so on. What is the differences here? Some of them have a 100 dollar difference in price, and I dont really see a difference in stats. Since I have a ASUS motherboard, should I get the ASUS Radeon card? Or would it not make a difference?

Get whatever is least expensive. Like I said before, though you failed to realize, I said it's mainly the software bundles they come with, and retail packaging of course. Other than that sometimes they put on their own cooler design, like sapphire does. But the cheaper cards all use the reference cooler so if you see that large, flat, white or grey cooler than that is the normal reference cooler so any manufacturer with that will be the same basically. Though actually I think the white and grey coolers are a little different. Not really sure how though.

I would get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-164-041&DEPA=1

Aright, I kind of skimmed over it all, but yeah if you're going PCI-E stick with an X800XL, if you're going AGP go with 6800GT

Software bundles however, generally mean nothing, every software 'bundle' I see the price of the card is cranked up to accomidate it

Yeah I have an AGP, but no PCI-E. There is no real difference between the two really in terms of speed right? So why switch entire brand names for the card?

I would be lying if I said I haven't learned a s**t load from this thread, but there are so many conflicting opinons in here, and its hard to distingiush fact from opinon. I'm gonna research AGP and PCI-E really quick and see what makes them both tick. I'm told there isn't much difference, but paying an extra hundred for a 6800GT instead of a x800XL (XT) makes a big difference for me.

Aright lol then stick with the X800XL even with AGP. I think the GT outperfoms it slightly, plus an eVGA 6800GT can easily OC to Ultra speeds if not beyond, so that's always a plus for having a great performer.

Also it has PS3!!!!!! :p lol had to do it

Its true that nvidia has great potential for OCing, but I'm not trying to fry the thing lol. I'll be getting a Thermaltake Xaser III SuperTower, 5 intake fans, 2 exhaust fans. I'm hoping that the 2 exhaust fans will be enough (since their more important then intake) if I was to get a 6800GT. I can't get the card right now, as I just paid 400 for my current upgrades, and 800 for 6 month insurance bill and dental bill, that'll leave me with just a couple hundred, then I gotta worry about college lol. A four, five hundred dollar investment better be damn worth it. Thats why I'm being so picky, I want to know that I go the right thing.

Btw, another question, and this one should be easy for you. I got a stick of this RAM here now.... heres the link. Would it be worth getting another stick of this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-420&depa=0

Thanks again. I swear I'm almost done with this thread ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom