General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk88

Baseband Member
Does the cache on a computer contribute greatly to its performance? Especially when gaming.

Are you talking about the L1/2/3 cache for the processor? If so, it helps the processor store incoming instructions so that it doesn't have to wait for the info. It speeds things up quite a bit.

So is it possible to upgrade the cache on your computer?

If so, do you think i would need to upgrade if my L1 cache size is 64KB and my L2 cache size is 256 KB?

Ok, but do you think a computer with a L1 cache size of 64KB and L2 cache of 256KB is at least ok for gaming?

jk88 said:
Ok, but do you think a computer with a L1 cache size of 64KB and L2 cache of 256KB is at least ok for gaming?

from what it sounds like, you have an Athlon XP either with a Palomino or with a Throughbred core, the order of cache, L1,L2,L3 is in the order of speed, the L1 being the fastest and the L3 being the slowest, which is why you notice that there is more L2 then L1 and more L3 cache (if a cpu has it) then L2 cache.

your cache size is what I would consider minimum for today's processors, though having more its definetely a benefit

If i could get a good video card, will the cache really show a difference when gaming with games such as hl2 or wow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom