Low Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
When i buy my Corsair Ram should i get the Low Latency Ram?
If you think i should, why?

Also what does Low Latency mean?

Thanx for your time!
Happy Computing!

low latency is faster, if you aren't into overclocking then I would get the low latency stuff because it will be faster than the regular timings, that's what I got anyway

Oh man you got the whoppers lol. You know those are like twice as tall as normal ram sticks right? :p
Yea those should be good

Tell me how it looks when all those leds are blinking in your case :p

Lasrix said:

Also what does Low Latency mean?

Thanx for your time!
Happy Computing!

It's a measure of how fast you will get your data after a memory retrieve instruction has been issued (in clock cycles). Smaller the number the faster it is (less clock cycles to get data). But, the improvements are not as much as you might think as a result of other factors involved. e.g. 2 vs 2.5 vs 3 CAS

Yeah supposably they are quite big - 1.75", but I've got a headspreaders on the one I've got now and It's a quite tight fit due to the Thermalright XP-120.

But If I can't put them in slot 1 where the heatskin is - I guess I'll just have to use slot 2 & 3 which would fit with no problems.

Yeah, I'll keep you informed either way should be here, anywhere from Monday to Wedensday.

:)

if you aren't into overclocking then I would get the low latency stuff because it will be faster than the regular timings
You got that backwards. If you aren't into overclocking then you should simply get valueRAM as you'd never notice the difference between 2-2-2-5 timings and 2.5-3-3-7 or even 3-3-3-8 timings...a Sandra bench test would show you very minimal increase or decrease in speed.

The only time the high value 2-2-2-5 performance RAM is worth it is if you just absolutely have to have the best of everything and would refuse to admit to anybody you had 'value' anything, or is you are into overclocking since they can generally easily hit high FSBs with low voltages.

Best sticks use Samsung TCCD (which basically every 2-2-2-5 timed module uses) and the ones that use Brainpower PCB which corsair doesn't.

G.Skill LAs
OCZ Platinum Rev 2s
PQI Turbos
Patriot XBL

Those all use samsung TCCD with BrainpowerPCB.

For those who want more info on brainpowerPCB and how to identify it read here:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=53

EDIT: ApM - personally I think that corsair LED's is pointless....don't know how many times you look into your case to see how the RAM is being used, but more than likely they arent going to OC as well as other high performance RAM. Just my 2 cents ;)

Whats your input towards the RAM i have linked to, Nubius.

Hehe, ok thanks - I didn't really buy them for the LED, although yeah I suppose it is a plus, I think I look in-side of my case about every 2weeks if that plus its under my desk so I don't look at the case whilst using the PC anyways.

Don't know how much that is in USD though, so it could be good for the price, you generally gotta spend like $220 on good performance RAM that'll OC like beasts, with the exception of TwinMOS which has a 1gb at newegg for $108, but they require a good amount of voltage to get high OC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom