comparison of IDE, SATA & SCSI drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah SCSIs are too damned expensive and run too hot.

Yes they are good for your Data but the other storage methods are not so unreliable that it becomes nessecary to suffer the price and heat and noise of those things.

ATA drives are cheaper than SCSI or Fibre Channel drives and there's a reason. SCSI and FC drives use a processor for executing the commands and handling the interface and a separate processor controlling the head positioning through servos. ATA drives use a single processor for both which means that if the rotational positioning requires more adjustments due to factors such as rotational vibration or wear, more processor time will be dedicated for that which can affect the performance of the drive. Because of this, you will usually see a lower RPM for the ATA disk drive and also a shorter warranty period.

hey senseless
i thought that 7200rpm 8mb cache ide drives work at about 133 MHz, does that speed translates to about 50 MBPs of transfer?

if i stick two 7200 Mbps 8 MB in RAID 1 do i get twice the data trasfer rates?

well from sis sandra 2 120gig sata maxtors says you should get a transfer rate of about 84mb/s but my 2 seagate 120gig come out of sandras benchmark at 92mb/s (thats in raid0)

SiSandra.

Don't be fooled by a RAID 0, benchmarks will tell you you're getting about double the transfer rate, but in real world applications, the difference isn't nearly as noticable as benchmarks will lead one to believe.

SATAII seems to be the best of the best right now.

Also, hard drives are not measured in hertz/megahertz/gigahertz as they do not perform instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom