Network internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikobe

Beta member
I have recently got broadband in my flat and I want to network my 3 computers together using a router so that they will all be able to go online.
I have connected all 3 together using network cards and am able to send files back and forth. Unfortunately I cant figure out how to get the 2 computers not connected directly to broadband to go online.
When setting up the LAN in the Internet options section of Control Panel I need to enter an address in the "use automatic configuration script" box. How do I find this address on the main computer that will tell the other two where to look?

Thanks for any help you can give

Get a hub (broudband router, the terms have really blended so router is a generic term now), like a LInksys 4 port. Plug the network cable going from your modem into the "upstream" port of your hub. Then connect all the computers to the hub. Linksys is nice because all you do is run the setup disk and your done.

yeah get a router. actually to clear up what lostman said, routers are usually a router/ switch/ DHCP server all-in-one with the main features being:

router - used with a routable protocol like TCP/ IP makes it so you can use a wide area network WAN like the internet.

NAT - lets 1 external IP be shared among multiple computers and has inherit security.

switch - unlike a HUB which is a multiport repeater that takes in one signal and repeats it to all of the computers, a switch knows where to send the transmission making it many times more efficient

DHCP - this is what you were talking about when you asked about what numbers you needed to enter. with DHCP all you do is leave everything at default which is "obtain IP address automatically. the DHCP server will automatically assign IP addresses to all devices.

-----------------------

anyways buy a router, plug the broadband modem into the WAN port on the router, and plug all computers into each port 1-4+ and you can share your internet connection and data files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom