Cannot connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxton22

Baseband Member
My friend found a virus what she shortly removed afterwards which was messing with her internet connection , She wasnt able to connect anymore so she did a virus scan and thats when she removed i , but still cannot connect to the internet , Its Receiving info , but cannot send .. Any ideas? Shes using DSL , Windows XP .
I tried doing a system restore but she didnt have that set up , I asked to foremat she no longer has the CD.

Their any way to set windows to its default settings without the CD?

Is she recieving a valid IP?When she ries to send what happens?Even though the virus has been removed there is a possiablity that there is spyware present.

127.0.0.1 is the loopback ping and will only test her TCP/IP protocols are correctly installed.Have her do a ipconfig in the command promt and see if she is getting a valid IP and a default gateway.

Ok I had her put it in , nothing came up ,
Said Windows Configurtaion
then it went RIGHT back to cmd without saying any IPs

Then the NIC is been disabled manuely or the virus did it.Have her go right click my computer and select properties/Hardware tab/Device manager then click on the + beside network adapters.Right-click on the adapter with a red x on it and enable it.Then do the ipconfig again.

Sorry its taking me so long , I have to call her ect.

Ok I forgot that she disables her eathernet lastnight , she clicked it back up we did the ipconfig the basics came up , then I had her ping me ,

packets sent= 4 received = 0

What is the IP address that she is getting?If it is a 169.254..etc. then that is a default IP address windows assigns itself.Try a ipconfig /renew.If it fails then unplug the DSL modem from the wall for about 45 sec,then plug it back in, this reboots the modem.While the modem is unpluged have her shut down the computer and boot up the computer after the modem boots up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom