Missing .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbucker

In Runtime
I haven't really ever used it so wouldn't know how long it's been missing but today I clicked on 'help and support' (start/help and support) and it came up with an error message saying 'windows cannot find helpctr.exe'. Does anybody know of a way I can retrieve this file WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows XP? In itself that is gonna be difficult as a Windows XP didn't come with this computer. All help much appreciated.

Try "helpctr -regserver" at the run dialog. If that fails, have a look here.

Help & Support does not work.

If that does not work than go to "C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries" and see if you have the "HelpCtr.exe" in the folder. Open the HelpCtr.exe and see if it works. If so you can work around that by pinning it to your Start Menu and removing the original link to clean up your Start Menu.

Thanks tribal sun :) Unfortunately none of that worked - the link you gave me looked promising but it doesn't tell you what to do with those registry values. It tells you to download it and a bunch of text comes up that I don't know what to do with. I'm searching now to try and simply download the file, seems the easiest way of doing things.

Your welcome, I've found another possibility that may help you. Open My Computer >> tools >> folder options >> view >> enable show hidden files and folders >> OK. Now go to "C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf". Right click and choose install. Borrow an XP cd from a friend as your going to need it if you do not have the CD yourself.

Have a look at this page, you will have to scroll about 1/4 of the way down, it has many many options to try.

Kellys Corner XP

I've tried a bunch of things, still no luck. Although I'm not getting the error message telling me it wants that helpctr.exe file now. Also when I go to services.msc, help and support isn't listed. Hmmm. This is such an irritating problem. If anyone can give me any more ideas on how to solve it, it would be much appreciated.

Tried absoloutely EVERYTHING, to no avail - I think I'm officially giving up on having the help and support facility LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom