all was ok with that. So I rebuilt this older pc with a
new HDD, new CD rom, new diskette drive, case and cpu
fans and go to load windows xp onto it and the same thing
happens. Problem is, I ran very extensive full system
diagnostics and nothing fails. CPU, mainboard,
components, memory etc they all run clean, even when the
tests were looped. I boot off the windows xp cd and as
soon as I get to the blue screen that lists the install
tasks to be done, the computer reboots again.

Let me add some specifics...

cpu - Intel Pentium 933MHz
mobo - ??? but I will check
memory - 2 x 128Mb dimm (tried one of each stick)
video - nvidia
cmos battery (new, replaced)
diskette - standard 1.44Mb
HDD - maxtor 30Gb
Power supply - Installed new replacement, no fix
cd rom - LG 52x
Modem - conexant winmodem (removed but system still reboots)

I really need help with this one. Thanks in advance

Hmmm ,,, 43°N 79°W...you in Welland Ontario,, or near there,, Very CLever on the locate,,,

On the post,, Are you using the same MOBO in each instance? or do you have two?

Is the XP copy that you have a legal or replicated and liberated version?

cheers,

the mobo is the original one. I bought another one + an AMD cpu to make the other system and loaded the copy of winxp I bought onto that pc.

I tried to use the same cd to load winxp on the old cd and it did not work. It was an upgrade cd so I needed win98 or something to load it. I had problems with that because I don't have a copy of win98. borrowed my dad's but that would not boot up. Tried downloading win98 boot diskettes and did not work. So I got a copy of winxp full (I apologize in advance about the copy but I was starting to get desperate). I began the winxpfull install on the new empty hard drive and it loaded the drivers then loaded some stuff onto the hard drive allowing me to boot of the hard drive directly in order to complete the windows install.

Orange,,

On the XP disk that has the Full install on it,, Explore the cd and run the XP UPGRADE ADVISOR.. this will tell you if all the hardware you have is XP compliant,,

Now,, there is a bit of a twist here, you see since the original setup you had was on a 98 machine with and XP upgrade,, most likely the video card was using legacy drivers to support the video card,,

I would think that once you have the full install,, there are no more legacy drivers specific to that card that you have in there,, hence the stall at the Discovering hardware screen,,,

I would suggest borrowing a video card that is XP compliant,, and found on the Microsoft Hardware Compliant List(HCL) on the Microsoft site,, however, I am sure that running the upgrade advisor will give you the answer that you are looking for ,,

this is definitely a hardware issue,,

sorry for the news,, before you spend ,, run the advisor,, borrow a video card, and see what happens,,

then look to spend another $100 bucks at your Local Welland Computer store,,or Niagara,, or Vineland,, or Hamilton,, or whomever is closer,,

But NOT in St Catharines,, them people is just weird there!

:)

cheers,

Oh,,,

AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

I am just a simple country doctor Jim! what do you expect of me?

heh heh :)

Same Problem

I'm new to this site never been on here before but I'm having the same type of problem and its driving me nuts so I was hoping someone out there would have a idea. I'm building a new computer and installing windows XP Pro on it. I've tried about everything I can think of and everytime after it partitions, formats, and copys the files to the harddrive it reboots to the blue screen setup again. Heres what I got.

Biostar M7VIZ MB onboard sound and video
AMD XP 1800+
Crucial 128mb PC2100 non ecc
WD 5400 RPM 40gig HD
Liteon CD-ROM

I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried different ram, another identical HD, Severl different cables, pulled everything out of the case and set it up on the bench to make sure its not shorting out on the case.

I tried fdisk the MBR cause I read somewhere that might be the cause no luck. I'm running out of ideas and patience. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Cheers.

I am in hogtown.

I will borrow the radeon 9200 from the other computer and see what happens.

It only happens when windows touches it, as soon as it gets to that windows xp setup screen. Is xp detecting something it should not be, then crashing?

it sounds like something is wrong with the motherboard because by deduction you've tried everything else. there is little chance both sticks of memory would go bad at once unless maybe you had a power surge. i'd just say simply the motherboard went bad on you. have you tried resetting your CMOS?

redF7sp i don't know about your situation becuase unlike orangeman your computer isn't rebooting at random. redF7sp i bet of you try to install winME/98/95 you wouldn't get these problems. i your case winXP/ win2000 does not like the memory you have installed on your motherboard. you said your tried different kind of memory, but you may be testing with the wrong kind. what brand is the other memory you tested with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom