Spring Cleaning! Look at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
Well i finally got to the store this morning and bought me a nice bottle of compressed air. I figured i desperatly needed it since my cpu was so dusty and running kinda hot =\. So after about a 15 minute clean up with the air i decided to check the temp and it dropped from an idle of 55 C - 60 C into a beutiful 35 C - 36 C idle. My case went from 28 C to 26 C but thats no biggy.

So after that i decided to run some Benchs to see if that changed and then i upped the core clock to 500 to see if that mattered as well and this is what i got:

3DMark01 – 14,019 cleaned – 14,010 core 500 -- 13,990
3DMark05 – 3262 cleaned – 3251 core 500 -- 3257
3DMark03 – 7936 cleaned – 7944 core 500 -- 7991
AquaMark3 – 47,166 cleaned – 47,419 core 500 – 47,321

Now, i know these change all the time when u run them so i figured with these results the cleaning did nothing and for some reason the upped cored did nothing... Thats the part i dont understand, why does tampering with the core clock not affect performance?

I really know nothing about the Core Clock and the Memory Clock, Can someone take the time to help me out with my annoyance?
To clearfy that, what does each do? Also would it be wise and helpful to tamper with the memory clock?

Well aside from the spring cleaning i did i decided to hold the new PSU purchasing till next week. I think instead of going with the ENERMAX 550W PSU im gonna go with the Antec 480W PSU. I think mainly because people tend to say they are more reliable.

Well thanx for your time everyone.
Happy computing :D

I'm assuming that you are talking about the clock speed of your processor. In that case, the tests you have performed don't really "test" the processor. Those tests are mainly for video card. The better video card you got; the better score you get.

If you're talking about your video card then i'm stumped. Overclocking your video card should get you some higher scores in those tests.

Hope this helps:)

I'm not really well versed with Pentium processors, so i'll explain how an AMD arrives at their clock speed.

My old processor was a Barton 2500+. IT ran at a clock speed of 1.8GHz. To get the 1.8 GHz, that would be the Front side bus speed (166 MHz) times the multiplier (in this case 11). so 166 x 11 = 1826 Mhz or 1.8 GHz.

Now, i overclocked my processor by turning up the Front Side Bus (FSB) speed to 200 MHz. and reduced my multiplier, because of heat issues, to 10.5. This left me with a processor at ~2100 MHz.(200 * 10.5 = 2100)

This seems like a terrible explanation but maybe it will get someone else to reply. :)

By The Way: Overclocking my processor did almost nothing for my 3d mark scores.

Wow! i need to look around more often. check this out for an excellent explanation

i wassnt talkin about my CPU i was talkin about my video card, but thanx anyways :p

lasrix is you want a higher score then up the memory along with the core, a 6600gt lacks in memory compared to other cards so overclocking your memory shoud help your scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom