One Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
i have looked at forums and new's and everything i game alot and stuff but i would like to get in linux im goin to build a small work station for it. i would like to know what a good linux distro to learn from. and is there some hardware parts i h=should know about to use like a agp or pci vga mb and stuff im trying to learn about computer because this is the job/work area i would like to study and stuff so if you wouldnt mine helping me out with this would bee a great learning expersion for me to learn computers.

My advice to you is to not worry about a distrobution of linux yet. First, learn about it. Go to the library and check out some books. Then you have to ask yourself some questions. What are you going to use it for? What kind of hardware does the distro support? Does it have good customer support? Is there a lot of documentation/resources? Does it have the apps you need installed? The list goes on... your best bet is to go to http://www.linux.org and check out their list of distributions and check them all out, because no one knows exactly what you want to see in the distro.

Personally, I use Ubuntu because of the support.

thanks know about the library i dont think they have books on it BUT if they do im going to check and see this week but what books and i going to look for and stuff.

http://www.lowfatlinux.com

hardware wise, realistically if your planning on staying with it and dont want to keep upgrading all the time, anything like a p3 700mhz or socket A above 800mhz is fine really, more than enough growing room, the rest doenst have to be anything special at all, you can certainly learn on an old p100 system that costs $5 LOL, Ive done that, it works fine, its just slow

if you want to just play around a little and get a feel for it, try a live CD like knoppix, or if your a little brave and want something super minimal and want to try commandline only, look up basiclinux, its a floppy distro that runs in ram, its very very minimal, but its simple, and good for learning the basics, you can do a suprising amount with it really--surf the net in text mode,check mail, telnet, ftp, basic networking, learn the linux filesystem etc etc

so i can use aold system sweet ill find one or build a micro for linux and stuff i really would like to learn. So :basiclinux: would be a good one to learn from.

ya basiclinux is ok, like I said it isnt much to it, if youve ever used DOS its like that, everything is in text, there's no graphcis at all, the directions for it kinda suck, but it works, you can add apps to it and install it to a hard drive if you want, it fits on 2 floppies to start, its not exactly a beginners distro, but using that you will learn alot, you will need a guide to use it, I think it comes with some basic hints, I can help with it if you want, if you want to connect to the net and dont use cable or an external modem dont get it, it probably wont work for you then.

its good for learning BASH(the shell linux uses), and just basic commands and how to get around the old fashoned way.

Its something you could plug into a workstation at a college or internet cafe and have your own distro in your pocket so to speak, and you can use it to fix problems on a PC like format disks, find files, repair problems, like a rescue disk with some extras.

here look at it: http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux1/ thats the first edition
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/ thats the latest version

ok on the 2nd link i would like to know if i put it on a floppy i can take it even where and pnp it and stuff as you said your own distro. know what about the ionternet i cant connect to it and if i where to make a work staion and stuff when its done can i boot it up on the floppy to make it my OS or what

well basiclinux wont be able to use most windows modems or a wide range of ethernet cards, so you have to keep that in mind, there's only so much you can fit on a couple floppies, if installed to a hard drive you can add more stuff, its not meant to be permanent really, more like a rescue tool or something to play with and learn with

basiclinux is like having a portable OS that fits in your pocket, you can take it anywhere, turn off the power and its gone, unless installed to a hard drive, it will run eitherway

there's also whats called "live" cd's, which are linux distro's on a CD instead of a floppy, they come with alot more software, look up knoppix on google, they run in RAM too and dont even need a hard drive, just put it in the cdrom drive and let it boot up, they are graphic, come with enough stuff to be like windows really, as far as what they look like on your screen anyway, it doesnt have to be installed either, just let it boot up,but they come with an install to hard drive option if you want to do that

both basiclinux and knoppix are easy ways to give linux a try without installing anything

for your workstation Id get a regular distro and use that instead,just thought i'd show you a couple more options

if you want to see what the different levels of hardware can do, goto the hardware forum, someone asked that question earlier and I posted there about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom