Good system to turn into linux box

Status
Not open for further replies.

upallnighter

Baseband Member
I was just wondering what some of the people with linux experience think would go into a good machine to run linux on. It would just be to learn the operating system and would be a 3rd machine. Maybe post specs for what you think the system should be built from and reasoning. Thanks

Not an expert in Linux as this OS doesnt like me, wont work on my PC or laptop for one of many reasons but

For linux, the latest and greatest is VERY hard to support, get mainstream parts.

For audio I do know however, soundblaster sound cards are some of the only that work and by far the easiest to get working. I do however still hate them :p

Anything, for decent GUI performance, 64mb or more RAM, for a GUI/desktop environment like GNOME or KDE, make that 128mb,preferably 256mb or more.

Your looking at console only memory overhead with a new kernel of about 38mb, maybe less, depends on kernel choice and how much hardware youve got installed, linux can run on 4mb easily with minimum services and hardware.

64mb is enough to run a "live" CD distro, 128mb-256mb works better, dont need more than that though really.

CPU---> assuming no games, 500mhz w/100mhz fsb will allow playing video smoothly
700mhz will allow direct playing of dvd smoothly
1ghz will allow recording a video signal into mpeg on the fly @640x480 w/o dropping frames
If you want an eye candy intensive GUI, 1ghz or better realistically with 256mb ram

after that, your into the bonus or overkill zone

disk space needed, average distro, 800mb to 1Gb, but, thats with prettymuch every piece of software you will need with many duplicates, with everything available for linux software wise in the most complete distro's, your looking at almost 3Gb's of disk space used

with some planning and some work you can setup a very capable system with any socket A or p3 CPU and probably never need an upgrade

with a little more work and planning, you dont need anything special at all to surf the net and do office type stuff, an 8yr old p100 system will work just fine

hints:stay away from bleeding edge brand new hardware, overclocking is not needed, mass huge amounts of ram arent needed either,beware of ATI graphics cards, pick printers carefully(very carefully--postscript is good), stay the hell away from "dumb" hardware--->winmodems are bad news, so is anything else thats all software to run,linux likes intelligent hardware

Linux is completely modular, you can pick and choose what you want to put in it, eye candy means ram and cpu cycles just like any OS, but linux has lots of choices of everythng, it runs on anything from a pda to a mainframe built by IBM, and there's apps to fit prettymuch any need in that range.

If youve got some extra parts laying around, check the HCL listing at linuxquestions.org to make sure its ok(comaptible), or just ask me in the linux forum and I will check, and throw a system together, ive already dealt with many of the problems linux can throw at you at one time or another.

I highly recommend doing a little research first, http://www.linux.org or http://www.tldp.org are good places to start, so is http://www.lowfatlinux.com , it isnt windows, there is a learning curve, starting cold turkey isnt easy for many people.

basically any computer can run (just make sure you have enough memory)

charles_scott said:
If i could id go linux over windows, but sadly i would have no way of getting online since im dial up with MSN :p

o_O dialup with MSN? that seems pretty expensive

does your area offer dsl>?

Thanks for the advice. The story behind the question is that I am a comp sci major at a state school in PA that isn't funded well enough/staffed enough to teach us OS's other then the standard Windows most of us have had. I figured I would need to learn Linux since alot of companies are switching over plus there is that whole thing with foriegn governments deciding MS is too close to the US government. I already have a P4 3.2 that I use for games and school stuff and a P4 2.8 laptop for portablilty and inclass notes/websurfing, so I am just looking to build something I can learn on that is decently cost effective but will play nice enough until I understand the OS enough to handle curve balls. So thanks for the advice again, I'm gonna look around newegg etc to see what I can get and I will post the parts when I have something I think will do.

diabloII said:
basically any computer can run (just make sure you have enough memory)

o_O dialup with MSN? that seems pretty expensive

does your area offer dsl>?

It is expensive, $29.99 a month, but i get 7 email accounts, and my computer can stay connected to the dial up server as long as the modem dont screw up.... Sometimes i get a message saying the robotics driver has failed, then im forced to restart. But where i live there wont be any DSL for another 5+ years.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom