Hang on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

integra

Solid State Member
Hi all. My PC has recently started to stop respodning when I first switch it on and it gets to the desktop screen. It stays unresponsive for around 2 minutes before it lets me do anything. After that, it's fine. Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks.

BTW. I'm using Windows XP, on an Athlon XP1800+

It sounds like some program is starting up or running in background.You might want to check your startup folder to see what starts with windows.What new programs did you install .
Go to start help & support ,Use Tools bottom link on right side.
system configuration utitlity 6 up from bottomclick open system utitility,click on startup look at the programs that are loading
uncheck whatever you dont need to load.It helps me for a faster boot.When you reboot put a check in the box and click remember.

and if you are using xp, it is quite an annoyance since some programs dont show up in the startup under start menu. Then you go through the painstaking process of editing options in each program that runs in the background.

programs that I've found to be a pain are steam, EPO Agent (a network agent that is constantly checking upon your computer status and 'was' required by rutgers university for the network compliance agreement).

I also believe that I have read somewhere that having alot of icons in the tray at startup also slows down the initial loading process so anything you can do without try to load it after you are logged in (except for the virus protection just turn off auto update)

I don't think it's the programs in the icon bar that's causing the problem. I've had the same one's there for months beforehand with no probs.

As for editing the startup programs, I have no idea which ones I need and which I can turn off. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom