o/c 64bit socket 939 3000+ to 3500+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imation

In Runtime
Hi guys, long time reader of these forums, but I don't post much!

I recently bought and built a system with an athlon64 3000+ cpu, and i've done a bit of reading; coming to the conclusion that o/c'ing my cpu to 3500+ is possible with a stock AMD HS&F. Is this a myth? Or would I need to look into water cooling?

System specs for people wanting to know:

Athlon64 3000+ s939
Geil dual channel 2x512mb kit
Asus a8n sli delux mobo
MSI 6600GT
400watt psu

And after those first questions are answered, is it better to wait for a month or so to 'break in' my cpu, so to speak. Or is it safe to o/c straight out of the box?

All suggestions welcome,
imation.

Well you might need better than stock, but that doesn't mean you need water cooling. a Good aftermarket heatsink would do fine.

Just watch your temps man, if they are hitting high 50's or 60's at full load, then you need to back down your OC...if you're getting low 50's then keep OC'ing.

Yes I would suggest you wait a week or more for a good burn in time, play games, all that good stuff. It really does help for higher OC's....a month is a bit long though dont have to go that far

Socket 939 3000 run at 1.8ghz. So OC that to 2.2ghz would be a pretty big increase on stock cooling. I personally dont think its going to be possible. Im not trying to get your hopes up. I think if you got a nice heatsink, and a vantec tornado cpu fan you could.

Just tested my temps. Have been playing halflife2 single player for about 2 hours, my max cpu temp was ~42 degrees celcuis. At idle it's at ~35.

seems ok? well i dunno about cpu temps, maybe you can try googling/search on tf to see wut other people get

yea, like nubius said, playing games helps the cpu burn in, and while you're not using your comp, leave it on and run prime95 to help it burn it as well

oh, and maybe try cleaning up your wiring? ;)

LOL the wiring eh. I've tried my best with cable ties, perhaps when I get my next paycheck i'll throw in some cable sleeving :D

I think the temps are fine to o/c with, my old computer was running an 1800+xp athlon, and it was about 50 at idle with stock hs&f, and 55+ on load.

Here's another shot of my case, no more comments on messy wiring!! :p:p

http://www.ddnz.com/stuff/inside.jpg

Will start o/c'ing in a few days. Thanks for replies.

man your wires are.....kidding of course...I always hated it when people said the same about my previous case, but yours looks clean as hell compared to my last midtower with a crap load of fans.

Picture.jpg

See? Yours is spotless compared to that :D

EDIT: Man those zalman are absolute monsters :freak:

No nubius I think yours is better.

Imation, seriously you have to get those two wires out from in front of that zalman. At least is nubius' case the wires aren't RIGHT IN FRONT of the cpu heatsink.

Take that 12Volt ATX power connector and stick that in the top edge of the motherboard. Then take that big a$$ ugly green cable and stick that in one of the bays, just at least bend it back the other way so it's not sticking right almost into the fan.

That is the worst wiring I have seen. You should know to at least to keep the wires out of the heatsink lol.

These are my temps btw (for comparison)

CPU: Amd Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
Cooler: Zalman 7700-Cu

Idle: 21C
Load: 28C

Fan speed: normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom