budget question for pc building

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hello

looking to build a desktop pc to handle basic websurfing tasks but also:

-CD ripping (i have a large music collection and i'm only now getting around to making MP3s)

-storage of the rather large collection

-DVD burning/editing

-and photoshop (once in a great while).

in other words, no games, no real heavy stuff. i currently have a P3, 733, 20GB, 512 MB but i'm quickly outgrowing it. how much can i expect to spend for something capable of quick ripping speeds, decent HD storage (80-120GB), and a relatively good DVD burner? i'd probably want another pentium (unless i can be convinced something else would do just as well for less money) and about a gig of memory.

i should clarify that software is not a problem as i already have what i need in that department.

TIA

a

amd 3000+ $146
1gig corsair value ram $88
abit ax8 $115
120gig hard drive seagate $85
any graphics card you want
any case and psu you want
total should be about 500-600

thanks for the feedback. can you give me some pointers about how to get started? i'm pretty handy with pc components/parts but i've never started on one from scratch. thanks

a

diabloII said:
how much money can you spend

well, enough to get the basic tasks i described above. i'm on a budget for sure but rather than a strict figure, it's more a tendency to keep the price low. somthing that will get the job done and be reliable.

a

AMD 64 3000+
MSI m-ATX mobo (anyone got comments on this; it has a decent onboard gfx)
1 gig of corsair value ram
200 gig hard drive (look in ur local newspaper for deals)
NEC 3520A dvd-rw (all in one drive)

Case- your choices; imo thermaltake and antecs are good
Power supply- depends on what you want, probably an OCZ modstream, TT TD-420/480, Antec truepower

diabloII said:
AMD 64 3000+
MSI m-ATX mobo (anyone got comments on this; it has a decent onboard gfx)
1 gig of corsair value ram
200 gig hard drive (look in ur local newspaper for deals)
NEC 3520A dvd-rw (all in one drive)

Case- your choices; imo thermaltake and antecs are good
Power supply- depends on what you want, probably an OCZ modstream, TT TD-420/480, Antec truepower

thanks for the suggestions. there's gotta be more to this than simply throwing parts together, no? can you recommend a good DIY website? TIA

a

well all you need to do is know how to read the manual (teaches you how to install everything)

after that, just put in your winXP disk, set boot sequence to cd drive only, boot from win xp cd, install win xp, install drivers, and you're good to go

diabloII said:
well all you need to do is know how to read the manual (teaches you how to install everything)

after that, just put in your winXP disk, set boot sequence to cd drive only, boot from win xp cd, install win xp, install drivers, and you're good to go

so literally buy the stuff on the list, read the individual instructions, slap it together and it's a go? anything missing from the lists? TIA

a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom