Just reformatted, now can't get 256 colors, 800 X 600 display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Solid State Member
Hi hope I put this in the write forum. I just recently formatted my old HP Pavilion 6635. I reinstalled Windows98SE and can no longer display 800X600 with 256 colors. All I have as options is 2 colors and 16 colors. I am using a 17" Daytek monitor. I am using on board video, although I cannot find it in the BIOS. From what I understand it should be in the BIOS under the Advance heading. Don't know what I'd do with the setting if I found it anyways. I've looked all over HP's site to see if there is suppose to be some driver I need, but could not find anything for this model. I have 192MB Ram, 533Mhz, Intel Celeron. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Did you buy it at Wal-Mart? If you did, the driver won't be on HP's website since it isn't a true HP computer. You will have to manual download your chipset drivers to get your functionality back.

it looks as if you definetely need the drivers, I jsut looked as well, and there is hardly anything listed there on HPs website for the model (worthless junk) you are going to have to look into the case, and find the chipset on the motherboard, (assuming this has integrated video) compare the chipset to Intel's website,
by googling I found your model uses the INtel i810 chipset which uses the Intel 82810 Graphics Controller, though I found this by using Google, I still suggest you to verify this fact.

Thanks for the quick response. I will open up the case and see which chipset it is. Thanks again.

Hey thanks, it worked, I now have true color 24bit 800x600 display. I just also realized that I have no Audio as well. When I try to play an mp3 I get: "Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding." I know I have on-board audio. I wanted to check to see if on-board audio was enabled. I found this setting in the BIOS: AC'97 Audio - enabled. So would this mean onboard audio is enabled. I couldn't find "onboard audio" specifically anywhere in the BIOS. A quick google, points out that Crystal SoundFusion Audio Driver, is the sound driver for this system. But when I try to install the driver is says that "a device attached to the system is not functioning." I thought I'd check to see what motherboard I have with this thing but all I could see on the board is this:
mat,no: 109931 cognac 19990723
I understand if I know which motherboard I have, I could download the proper audio drivers. thanks again for all the help.

well, HP and companies like it, use proprietary motherboards, ones which are made just for themselves, since you have integrated sound as well, look on the board for chip for sound device, it should have a specific model which you can google and ensure you have the proper driver,

By the way, http://www.driverguide.com/ is a good site for drivers
when it asks you to login, use this info:
Login: drivers
Password: all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom