Geforce FX vs. Geforce 4 vs. Radeon 9700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mm9004 said:
True, the gaming world will now begin to move faster than comprehesion... but I still hold that it will run on my GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (128DDR, 650 MHz)... But then what do I know? I haven't seen the trailer.

seriously, Moore's law stopped applying to graphics card ages ago because they were just ripping along at an unheard of pace.

I think it will get even more crazy with the current ATI vs. nVidia thing going on, with new products coming out like every 4-6 months with a new line every 12-18 months. New technologies barely seen before, like DDRII, will push it even farther.

g5orbust said:
Im not sure how well the hardware of today will hold up against DOOM3

Isnt that game built off of the Geforce 3? or was being built off of that until the latest cards now

The game was geared towards GeForce3 and above, but older cards may be able to play the game, just with less detail. (Probably the lowest you could stoop is GeForce 256-level)

I originally played the alpha over a GF3 card, and performance is acceptable (base level 30fps) if AA is not enabled.

HL2, on the other hand, appears to be quite scalable (min. specifications I last heard from was 700 MHz CPU + TNT2 card)

Certain games are the same situation as well, for example, if you want to play UT2003 over a Voodoo3 or TNT2, it'll still work fine (as long as you use =<640×480 resolution and 16bpp color depth, of course, with details toned to minimum).

Maybe [whoever made DOOM3] is buying all the time they can because they over-shot the v-card industry. Alot is riding on the realase of that thing, they better make sure current home computers can run the thing before they sell it. Wouldn't want to realase a product that only the government could handle.

"What are you doing??"

"Playing DOOM 3"

"On there??"

"where else would I play it?"

"Good point."

*Both sit down to play DOOM on the SETI satedish computers. The aliens see what they are doing and take a new interest in mankind. "Sir! The humans have had a sudden burst of technology! They are playing DOOM."

"Already? That would put them decades above our calculations. Commandor! Bring me the Laptop! It's time I returned our friends calls."

"What? WE SPENT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS SEARCHING FOR YOU AND WE FINALLY GET YOUR ATTENTION AND NOW YOU WANT US TO TELL YOU THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE???? FORGET IT!"

call ends and aliens sulk as they go obsolite.

Martin said:
The game was geared towards GeForce3 and above, but older cards may be able to play the game, just with less detail. (Probably the lowest you could stoop is GeForce 256-level)

I originally played the alpha over a GF3 card, and performance is acceptable (base level 30fps) if AA is not enabled.

HL2, on the other hand, appears to be quite scalable (min. specifications I last heard from was 700 MHz CPU + TNT2 card)

Certain games are the same situation as well, for example, if you want to play UT2003 over a Voodoo3 or TNT2, it'll still work fine (as long as you use =<640×480 resolution and 16bpp color depth, of course, with details toned to minimum).

dude! you played doom 3?!?!??

on the topic of getting a video card, If you go into a computer shop and they know you are not a computer expert they WILL take advantage of that!!

why don't they just release Doom 3 and make a Doom 4 already?

Not necessarily.

Yes, its time to just let it go... if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Release DOOM. (would probably have more fun playing DOOM 1 anyway)

ok... thanks fro the tips, and i think ill go with a 9600 pro...

I'm just interested martin.... what p2p program you use? i searched on k++ and got nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom