Group Policy Gurus Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fooled around with MMC for a bit and I got it to look like this. I feel like I'm on the right track. I've attached an image of the MMC Screen, with my popup message highlighted.

Woo! I shared the policy across the network and was able to import it using MMC on a test machine. I think I've got this business all figured out. Now I can install Policy locally, now I just need to test it out over Active Directory and make sure it works only on the Domain, and not locally.

Good job and good luck. if I can be of help again, let me know...
Something that is really cool to test the functionality is to run the RSP (Resultant set of policies) [I think that is the way it's called]test from the MMC to see what policies are actually being applied.

I've hit a brick wall again. This stuff's kinda tricky, but once I get it all figured out, I'll be ready to lockdown this place.

Anywho, I want to apply policy via Active Directory, and I'm still unable to do that.

When I open AD, I see my domain. I right-click it, choose properties, then group policy. Then I can edit the policy specifically applied to the domain (I assume). It doesn't apply automatically, so explain how I can use AD to get this policy to take effect when a user in the specified group (which I know how to do) logs in.

I'm not sure how...

your AD is structured, but in AD for Users and Groups MMC out of the Administrative tools, I've got AD sectioned into various OU's and sub-OU's. I have GPO's applied to those sub-OU's, it's easy to access by right-clicking on the sub-OU, choose properties, and then choose the Group Policy tab.

Mortified, I was able to enter the GP edit that way, and it is a lot easier to manage it that way, rather than going through the MMC console, etc.
I found a GP example in these forums and disabled regedit and access to the command prompt for the desired groups. It works great.
HOWEVER...
some old policy is still in place. I have an interactive logon banner that appears, and when I made changes to it via AD/Domain/Properties/GroupPolicy/Edit, the old banner is still there, so I think it's stored locally. I messed around with override options, but no luck.

How do I remove it/overwrite it with my Domain Policy? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom