From ALIENWARE back to DELL -- but look at what I get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NJRonbo,
If you're still wavering at all, I continue to urge you to at least talk to the folks at Puget and/or Tantus or another quality vendor of your choice. Maybe the Dell will work out for you, and I hope it does. I've just heard so many horror stories about their systems from reliable sources.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Mr. Peabody,

This is a tough choice.

I can buy my server system through Dell at
a significant discount thanks to a friend that
buys through a Dell Rep.

The Dell System I quoted in my first post is $4200
without shipping and tax. The discount I get is $3200
complete. I just saved $1,000.

Also, as part of the package, I can get the Dell 24"
monitor for $849 shipped rather than $1199 + shipping.
Right there I just saved an additional $300+

Altogether, by going with Dell I save a little more
than $1300.

I spoke to the people at Targus. They were really
great. Spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me
going over their system.

They could not match the undiscounted $4200
that Dell offered. The only way they could match it was
by getting rid of the 300GB SCSI and replacing it
with a 74GB SATA 10,000 host drive and a 250GB
72,000 secondary drive.

Look....

I am in a tough spot here.

How can I pass up this Dell deal? I am getting an
unbelievable price on a server + monitor package
that nobody can come close to matching.

On the other hand, I have a few people here telling
me how much Dell sucks. I appreciate those opinions.

I have owned a Dell Dimension for years and never
had any major problems with it. I have never
personally liked Dell only because I always thought
their systems were difficult and expensive to upgrade.

How wrong could I really go with Dell? It's
not like we are talking about the worst company on
the planet. Gateway, HP, Compaq...yes! I don't
fully believe that Dell is so irresponsible with what
they put into their systems. This is also a SERVER
not an ordinary home computer.

True, TARGUS would have built a more quality
computer. So would ALIENWARE. The thing is, I
would be spending a few THOUSAND dollars more
for these systems (not hundreds) over the Dell
discount I am being offered.

If you guys really think I am in for headaches
by purchasing this Dell, then keep speaking your
mind.

All of you on this forum have been extremely
patient and helpful with me for the past few weeks.
This is one of the biggest purchasing decisions I
have to make this year.

if you get a dell you are gonna regret it. Gotta say that and pretty much out of all the computer makers right now i would have to say dell is the worst. Plus their computers look like crap plus if you build it yourself you can choose what kind of case you want and you know that you are getting good parts not cheap generic ones that may dide on you . Dell customer service sucks they route you call to india and you have to talk to people who barely speak english. but please no matter what you do do not get a dell in the long run you'll regret it

aspire.comptech said:
if you get a dell you are gonna regret it. Gotta say that and pretty much out of all the computer makers right now i would have to say dell is the worst. Plus their computers look like crap plus if you build it yourself you can choose what kind of case you want and you know that you are getting good parts not cheap generic ones that may dide on you . Dell customer service sucks they route you call to india and you have to talk to people who barely speak english. but please no matter what you do do not get a dell in the long run you'll regret it
He doesn't want to build a computer. How hard is it to understand that? Not everybody wants to build there own computer otherwise companies like Alienware and Dell wouldn't even exist if everyone built there own.

NJRonbo,
My experience with Dell is limited to what some friends, relatives and a few colleagues have told me, and of course to what I read online. You say you never had any major problems with your Dell Dimension, so your experience has been positive. That's great!

Are you going to be using your system as a server? It didn't sound like it. Anyway, yes, you're right, they'll be building you a high-end workstation rather than a budget desktop. Hopefully they'll put a lot of care into building it.

Naturally, you have to do what you think is best. You're certainly in a better position than I am to judge Dell since you've actually owned one (or more?) previously. If you feel confident that you can trust Dell -- and it sounds like you are -- then you'll be getting what you want at a terrific price.

After you've had your system for 6 months to a year, how about posting back here and let us know how things are working out for you?

if you feel you are unable to build it, there is a company called Unitedmicro, located here: http://www.unitedmicro.com/

you can configure your computer or server and they will build it for you, least you can do is check them out, they do desktops as well as servers so you know :)

my previous computer was a dell. my experience was not the best.

-The case was tiny
-The mobo was a generic brand that made it damn near impossible to upgrade
-No overclockability
-The RAM was cheap, generic stuff that burned out after 6 months
-customer service has only one answer to every problem: reformat. I asked once, heatsink on the CPU isn't working that well, what would be the best replacement sink. The answer: reformat.

DONT GO WITH DELL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom