Can speakers interfere or damage hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjoeo

Beta member
Hi,

Hope someone can help, as this is driving me nuts

I have a laptop, Advent 7035, P4 2.8, 512mb ram

and the hard drive died last week. I took it to a few people to try and recover the data, but it was beyond repair or recovery. This hard drive (Seagate ST94011A) was the orginal one that came with the laptop, which I bought about a year and a half ago.

I ordered a new harddrive, exactly the same model to avoid any problems. I reinstalled everything, which took the best part of a day. When I came to start the computer the next day, it had stopped working. After doing a diagnostic check on it, I've found this hard drive has also now died! 2 days!?!?

The set up in my room, is that I have speakers in the far corners of my desk and the laptop in the middle of the desk near me.

Does anyone know if my speakers may be responsible for the damage?? Or is this just coincidence. My speakers aren't that big. They're avergage sort of hi fi size.

If anyone knows anything on this please let me know, as I deperately need my computer back!

Thanks

Joe O

the speakers shouldnt effect ur hard drive. it must be a by chance that thats happened. they might effect if are really large and near by. are you sure its the hard drive thats died and not sumthing else?

I'm not 100% sure that its the hard drive, although its doing almost exactly the same thing as when the last hard drive died.

It boots past the bios screen, there is a little hard drive activity, then it freezes, just before you'd expect to see the Windows welcome screen

ok erm have u checked you temperature in the bios? its possible that yous quickly overheating. is there anyway you can take that hard drive out and set it to slave in a desktop and see if u cn access it on that?

Ya,it sounds like a temp thing to me also,listen to make sure your cpu fan is coming on.Also is the hard drive making loud sounds?

Hi,

The hard drive isn't really making any noises.

I'll have to check out the temperature situation. I've looked in the bios, but theres nothing in mine to tell you the temperature.

There seems to be some life in the hard drive, as I've been able to view certain files in dos mode

ok. you should have a hardware monitor option in the bios that will tell you. most bios's do have that.

Prebuilt laptops often lack the option to measure your temperatures...

Don't worry about the speakers unless they have HUGE magnets

speakers all generally include "magnets" the smalelr ones aren't really that dangerous in retrospect, but keep them away from your computer anyways.
Laptops are known for their ability to get hot under heavy operation, especially ones with a Pentium 4, hard drive is 5400 RPMs, not exactly fast, but it will provide addition heat then compared wit ha slower 4200 RPM drive.
One Suggestion is for you to have a laptop cooler, somethign like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-999-412&depa=0

most laptop like to exhaust heat underneath it, on a flat surface, there is nowhere for it to escape so it can build. Just somethign for you to check out :)

The only thing u should worrry about affecting your computer is the Subwoofer.. if its big then make sure youve got it far from your computer.. id say theres something wrong with the connection for ur hds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom