Windows XP Pro Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penir

Beta member
Why is my Windows XP Pro crashing?

Ok. My computer, started crashing randomly about 2 weeks ago.(while i play games, or sometimes when i use Internet Explorer or AIM--even with nothing else running) When i'm doing basic things (using microsoft word, checking e-mail, making this post), or when it's idle, it doesn't crash.

When i "give it a rest" (either shutting it down or leaving it idle), it seems to crash less when i get back.

I'm pretty sure I didn't delete or install anything out of the ordinary around the time it began...

I've done a few things to try to fix the problem (none of which worked):

• System checkups and fixes/virus scans; all results said that my computer is fine

Defragmented

Replaced my 2 old RAM sticks--a 128 and 256--with two 256 sticks. (upping it from 384 to 512)

I installed a RAM scrubber and have it scrubbing just about every minute. (This pretty much tells me its not the RAM, cause the scrubber allows me to see that i have a lot of free RAM at the time of the crashes)

I installed the latest drivers available for my card (Geforce4 MX 420)
Other than wiping my hardrive and reinstalling windows, does anyone know how I could fix my computer?

well the software cannot tell you completely if the RAM has any problems, try using one RAM disk at a time to check if one of them makes it crash. otherwise it might be too much heat.

Take a look @ your Processor Fan and/or vidya card fan. Check for large ammounts of dust in your computer. Try doing a defrag and scandisk.

Well for one, i defrag plenty. Secondly, too much heat doesn't seem like it could be the problem cause it was fine before about two weeks ago. I changed the RAM after. Also, i don't think its going to overheat during flash internet games, especially in the winter...

Penir,, how is the power supplied to your PC?? Have any lightning storms, power surges, or shorts in the building , house , area??

Do you have a surge protector on the power supply?

Sounds like something is getting shorted,, or hot,, as you put a "load" onto your system, the power ramps,,

Did you discharge your static when putting your hands into your computer??

check your MOBO...

Just a thought..

cheers.

Ok, I think I had this problem with my computer, when you say it crashes does that mean it restarts? Turns Off?

Well, anyway, I had a problem and my computer always used to restart. It didn't pick up in virus scan, but I did have a worm, it only works on Win Xp I think. But its called the blaster worm. Goto http://www.msn.com and search it up and it will give you a crack to fix it.

I may not be on the same topic as you, but if it wasn't the worm then it could also be something else. Your power supply.

I had a problem and my computer would just turn off in the middle of games and what not. Then it wouldn't turn back on. So I got a new Power-Supply and all worked :)

Yea, it just restarts. But its only in games and stuff, and sometimes it takes a lot longer before it crashes then other times.

Could be the memory sticks. Is it branded good quality memory (as XP generally hates cheapo memory)?

Try running the machine on one stick only and see if that help. If xp will not run stabley on either of the single sticks swap back to your original memory to see if it is the new memory modules that are at fault, if so return to supplier.

You could also try this old trick, go into the BIOS and lower the FSB/ memory speed slightly (about 5%) and/or set the memory timings to less agressive settings (or SAFE mode settings).

By the way what memory is it, and what model is your mobo?

Ok. As i said, my computer was fine 3 weeks ago, and the problem started happening before i changed the RAM, and after i did, there was no difference.

I don't think the RAM would just suddenly get all screwy after quite some time of good performance. Then to have the same exact problems with 2 new RAM sticks...

My RAM is PC100, but I dont know what my motherboard is. All i can tell you is my motherboard is about 3 years old.

reinstall your operating system, your problem sounds like a severe conflict. you most likely have some conflict with software or system drivers. software conflicts sometimes appear to be hardware conflicts from the symtoms. backup all your data first including any homework files, everything you want to keep. put them onto a cd or copy it to another drive on the hard disk or another hard disk or send it to another computer. Operating System reinstall may be your last and best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom