CPU broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing happened to me awhile back. I took the heatsink and fan of to clean it, but being the clueless idiot I am I started it up with out the heatsink. In about 20 secs bam fried eggs. The computer would start but it would be a blank screen. Also couldn't shut it off with the power button.

So please tell me you didnt do what I did.
Because if you did cut the pins off, drill a hole, put a ring around it and make it a keychain. Cause thats all its worth now :)

Oh well, I wanted to upgrade the CPU and mobo anyway...
What mobo and CPU should I get? I now have a dead P4 2.6 but I want something better for gaming, but not too expensive. I have heard that AMD's are better for gaming. Is that true or is that just an opinion?

there's benchmark that show that the 3200+ (~$190), the one you should get if you want something not too expensive and good for gaming, is almost as good as the intel EE 3.2 (~$1000)

for mobo, you should get either dfi lanparty ultra-d, or abit an8 (for pci-e); for AGP, there are many choices, but the best choices from what i've seen is the msi k8n neo2 platinum and the abit av8 (or a8v, forgot) 3rd-eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom