drive write protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
im trying to do a low level format on my ghetto old maxtor quantium fireball hard drive, and i get this error saying "Drive write-protected. Press any key to continue..."

anyone know how to unwrite protect it?

Old HDD? Try looking around for a switch on the outside of the drive. Ransack the BIOS. Tell us how it goes.

That's when you press F1 during boot to access the core programing of your PC and then change all the settings especially if you don't know what it does.

If you screw up, you can reset everything in BIOS or reset the CMOS chip on your motherboard. To do that open your case and remove small chrome battery right on top of your motherboard for 10 seconds then replace then boot.

You can't lose.

f1 = bios.. ughh thers no option to take off write protect,
and i know how to reset cmos, im just not familular with ur lingo thats all

i used my bios, b ut it said the disk drive was write protected there

Go and get KillDisk it's a good application should give you access to any drive regardless of any stpuid 'write protect' or erase protect. But then you would be stuck if you you did manage to erase the disk but not get rid of write protect.

Can you disable it in BIOS? You must be able to disable it somewhere... unless...

Dude, are you using a retail PC or did you build it yourself? HP has just now started to release PCs with a 5Gig partition set aside for 'recovery data.' Stupid idea. It is write protected.

There must be some program out there that can format in ignorance of the setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom