ULTRA X-CONNECT PSU's : GOOD,BAD,OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I was looking at some Ultra X-Connect PSU's on Ultra's website. A friend of mine and I are revamping his RIG. He bought a 100% clear case and we are going make this the cleanest case anyones ever seen. Lot's of LED's fans, UV cables and bells and whistles.

We like the way the Ultra X Connects look. Nice and neat and the UV cables are sweet. We were looking at the 500w X-connect. The whole case will be MODed in red lighting and cables.

Just wanted to know if anyone has an Ultra X-Connect or heard anything about them? Anyone? Anyone?

Well, maxinum pc reviewed them in a powersupply challenge, and they got the lowest score (which was bad). I have heard only good things about them if you exclude maxinum pc. I think it would be fine, and they do look pretty sweet.

I have the ultra x-connect 500w and im running everything perfectly fine, no problems. the modular system is great, so it doesnt look like the LA freeways coming out of the PSU. havent tried overclocking though.

From my research they are great

But by the time I finished my research, they were back to normal price :(

they work great and look great, but their reliability sucks

many people have had ultras that stopped working

They look good, but that's all they have going for them.

6 months ago I would've been urging you to buy one, but I've had about four people come back to me with complaints about constant restarts and shutdowns. I've basically come to the conclusion that it was because of their PSU, the Ultra X-Connect.

Did a bit of research and found that they are made by a cheap generic chinese company that uses cheap generic chinese capacitors.

Stay away from Ultra, OCZ PSUs look good, and perform good, if you have some mucho to spend.

The only reason I didn't get one was because the cables are a mile long. The main motherboard power connector is like 17" long. I wish they had differen't lengths.

i have two spare bays for CD/DVD drives, so i just curled mine up around there to clear up space and improve airflow.

dhw200, what color x-connect do you have? And are the wires UV? Do you have a UV lights inside the case? If yes, how does it look?

As for the long MOBO power cable being too long... I'd rather it be too long, then too short, plus it comes with lock ties to tidy things up. All you have to do is double the wire over in a spot that's not see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom