Problem with 9800SE Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, what does might having to get a new mobo have to do with nvidia specifically? Doesn't matter what company you go for, both have AGP and both have PCI-E versions and the PCI-E would necessitate a new motherboard and compatible graphics.

As far as speed goes, currently there really isn't. PCI-E is cheaper than the AGP because the AGP uses a chip to change the chips bus from PCI-E to AGP so an AGP board can read it so that makes em more expensive. There's no PCI-E card that can utilize the PCI-E bandwidth which is 16x, it's just setting you up for future cards of course.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Try locking them all except 1, than start unlocking them until you get an error, their is likely only 1 or 2 messes pipes

I see about what Nubius said. But how would I lock only one or two of the pipelines? Is that even possible?

*Bump*

Is it possible to unlock only 6 or 7 pixel pipelines in a Radeon 9800 SE PowerColor? Apparently one or two of them is causing the artifacts to appear on my computer.

Not 100% sure it was rivatuner that was able to unlock single pipes I think

I never tried to go pipe unlocking :/ My cards all have their maximum pipes

The 6600gt just has 8 pipes. There's nothing there to unlock...

Would be cool if you could unlock it to 16 pipes or something, but that's just a fantasy.

I wish I could answer that ApM. I've only used ATI cards so far. My next one will get a Nvidia 6800GT.

Nah get an x800 xl, just as good as a 6800 gt for a lot less. Don't let that 9800se experience get you down. I don't know what your friend was thinking. That card is not a good value, never buy SE cards or anything. He's just stupid to suggest that. You could have gotten a much better card.

That's the thing with ATI, the people that go out and buy 9800 se's or, like beedubya, x800 pro's are disappointed and often decide to start hating ATI and switch to nvidia. But the people that buy x800 xt pe's and x800 xl's are completely satisfied and become ati fans for life. ATI makes really good cards and really crappy cards. Nvidia as well I think but perhaps to a lesser extent.

Nvidia performs equally well with Direct3D and OpenGL, and in fact is ahead of ATI in many OpenGL games. ATI can barely do OpenGL, which is proven with Doom 3. You will be very happy with a 6800 GT. I wish I could afford one myself...the X800XL is similar to the 6800 GT stock, but remember that the X800XL has little room for overclocking and has no PS 3.0. Overclock the 6800 GT to Ultra and it will rape the X800XL.

Its differences of opinon like that which confuses me about what to get. I noticed something though. I used my 9800SE on OpenGL on Counter Strike and it runs between 40 and 99 (I put the max limit to 99 in game) However, I switched the video mode to Direct3D. The framerate could not climb above 15 FPS, which was just as bad as my old video card (9000 series Radeon) and i think the old card still performed better.

I hear about Nvidia cards crashing and having compatibility errors from friends of mine. As for the comment on ATI and Doom 3... my friend build a PC with a 2400 dollar budget (OMG it was sweet) His video card of choice (picked out with the help of a techie friend of his who works with fiber optics) was Radeon 9800XT. Smooth as a babies ass. He's had the comp for about a year now, he hasn't complained to me about a problem.

I'm not sure about what kind of card to get because the next one I'm planning on spending 350 to 500 on. Thats alot of money to waste if I buy the wrong card, and sending it back to newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com is a ridiculously difficult hassle. I dont have the "numbers" it requires me to have. Not to mention I have to pay for shipping to send back a, safe to say, a defective card. I'm gonna live with what I have for now, since its still a great improvement over what I had previously, but I was hoping to get alot more from ATI. They didn't meet my expectations like I thought they would.

Edit: Also, I check out the list of Radeon x800 XL's, and I found there was multiple types like GIGABYTE, Sapphire, PowerColor (i have a powercolor) Connect3d, ASUS, MSI, and so on. What is the differences here? Some of them have a 100 dollar difference in price, and I dont really see a difference in stats. Since I have a ASUS motherboard, should I get the ASUS Radeon card? Or would it not make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom