Looks just like someone is shaking it vigoriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

duugg

Beta member
Hi, I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX570 with a unique problem. Very sporatically the screen begins to go haywire with lines, squares, and whatever else you can think of. It's almost as if someone were shaking the screen. Eventually, the screen becomes unreadable. Sometimes the laptop even shuts off as if to say, hey I got a problem and need to shut off. The oddest thing is that I can pick it up and reboot it a few hours or sometimes even minutes later and it works fine.

1 thing I can definetely rule out is the monitor. While this was happening one time, I plugged in an external monitor and the external monitor showed the same thing at the same time as my LCD screen.

Also I will add that I do hear the CPU fan working and I have had problems even from a cold startup.

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the your laptop may be overheating. That would explain why after it's been off for a while and cools off it works just fine.

Loose graphics card in the laptop, if it's an upgradable card (in a slot). If not, the graphics chip is screwed up.

g-unit

Forgot to add that I do hear the CPU fan working and I have had problems even from a cold startup.

Thanks

Sevoma said:
I have a crt monitor and when I have a fan on by it the screen shakes.
\

CRT shakes are VERY different and are fine, that's the magnets in the fan causing your "shakes"

Your graphics are messed sorry to say, if your chip has a decicated graphics card you can just replace it, and if it's intergrated you have to replace you rmotherboard :(

Hopefully it is still under warranty, and you can take it in for service. if not, you may want to spring for a check-up, and let them tell you what it would cost to repair it.

It may be cheaper or more cost effective to replace it. But I would let a certified tech check it out first.

Is there some site out there that shows step by step on how to take apart my specific laptop to check and potentially replace loose things like the graphics card or a bad ram slot like someone else mentioned to me?

Do I need special tools to do this?

probably google a flat head screwdriver and a phillips screw driver lol.

HAVOC2k5:

why not just use a pentium m based on the dothan core (i suggest waiting as there is a new line of pms comming out) the pentium ms are better than an athlon 64 fx-55 from what we are getting from some benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom