Hybernate / Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbwest

Baseband Member
What is the difference between Hybernate and Standby?

and when should each one be used?

I tried to hybernate mine last night (winXP sp2) and it crashed, is thiswide-spread problem?

With some computers, yes. It is a problem.

Standby is generally just what it means. Standing-by. The computer all but turns off, saving the OS to the HDD in its current state, then shuts down to the bare-minimum.

Hybernate is the same as standby, only it's meant for longer periods of time.

Both are pains in the butt if you ask me.

Nice job Shoobie, yea both pretty much use less power, that is what they are primarily used for, this is often used on laptops more than desktops.

People use them to saver power on their laptops,or to automaticlly save their work and when the computer comes back up thier work is there.

They are for people who don't take care of their machines and have god awful 5 minute load times.

Hibernation takes up a big chunk of your system partition and I would disable it if you really don't need it.

lol yes, basically its for lazy ppl who cant wait like 2 mins to book up again. Like eveyone here said, it just saves power, and all your work is saved.

i always put my pc to standby when i'm sleeping cuz i'm really lazy and cant wait 2 mins. I use the hibernation thingy when i just leave my pc on for more than 1hr when its not downloading or hosting and it automatically hibernates which saved power

Ugh, I had to work on a PC one time, turned it on, and it hung at the bloody Asus logo for about 4 minutes before it took about another 2 or 3 minutes to load up Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom