Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultdust

Solid State Member
I recently built my first computer successfuly. And up to this point today it was running fine until I was running it and got a Windows blue screen message and the computer restarted itself. Each time I try to turn it on now it gets to the windows loading screen then the blue screen comes up.

I'm not sure if this is the effect of a hardware modification I made today. I had been receiving a message each time I turned the computer on saying that my ram was running in single channel mode and to switch the slots so that it could run in dual channel mode. I did that, and it ran fine when I rebooted it up until the first bluescreen about 30 minutes later. :( I dont know what to do...

Ok... this morning I turned the computer on and it gave me 2 strange beeps... then booted up normally... no more blue screen.... (Not sure whether I should be happy or afraid that it's gone w/o me doing anything.)

Every time I turned it on last night (total of 3-4 times), it blue screened at the windows loading sky blue screen, and just froze completely the 4th time.

I'm not quite certain what the message said though, it went up for like 3 seconds, then the computer just automatically restarted.

Also another thing I failed to mention is that I also installed SP2 yesterday, if that would somehow be an added cause of the abnormalities...

The blue screen says something about windows shutting down to prevent damage... Something about a hardware change... Follow directions... (It happens so fast I can only catch about 2 words at a time.)

The hardware change was switching the ram slots from 1&2, to 2&4 (to run in dual channel mode) as another message would tell me to do when I usually booted the computer. Which I did.

Last night to see if that was the cause of the problem, I changed the ram slots back to 1&2, and it appeared the problem was gone. Today however... I've been bluescreening the message randomly while the computer is turned on.

did you install sp2 on a clean build? as ive heard you can get problem doing it over the top of what you have already

right click my computer>>properties>>advanced>>startup and recovery settings and uncheck auto restart. Next time you get a BSOD, post the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom