Possible fan problem (Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysto

Beta member
Greetings!

I got a problem, as I see it. After I started up my system the fans start. First time I started it after putting it together I noticed that the fan really was spinning with a unusaly high noice. I checked speed of fan and it works at about 4000+ rpm. After a while (20 mins or so) I can hear it speed up and when I check monitor, it is up in 5400 rpms and the box is litteraly "shaking" like a certaint tool women use for pleasure... :amazed:

I can feel the case vibrating way too much. After reading here I noticed though that I set the fan connector on fan 2 while advice is fan 1. Not sure if that is the problem and I will move it to fan 1 and check right after this post (I thought I post it after all since someone else might have same problem).

Allright.. here is my config if it helps (Maybe it is suppose to be like this.. after all it has some stuff to cool off).

Case - Lepont 6 fans.
Intel "Bonanza" Motherboard.
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz CPU with Cooling (BIG) Intel CPY fan.
1 Gb DDR 3200 Memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
3 Lian Li Hard drive cases with fans. (Really silent ones).
Super Silent Power box with 2 fans (didnt think it was on at first ;)

You may now call me spolied and live with some noice or spank me for doing something possibly wrong.. he he :)

it probably isn't a case fan, they usually do not go up to 5400RPM constantly like that. it just sounds like his temp sensor doesn't detect his fan on fan1. you must plug that CPU fan into the CPU_fan1 connector or it will run full speed all the time.

if that doesn't solve it you have a bad fan. i remember when i bought the AMD xp2000 retial CPU that came with a cpu fan with a bright green colored fan. that thing shook like a woman's pleasure toy too. i would replace the fan with a speeze aftermarket fan, they are cheap. you can find aftermarket fans at newegg.com

This is a new build. I checked around and found a forum where someone said that the Intel Copper Core Fan pack shipped with the P4 3.0 Ghz with 800 FSB actually run around 3900-5200 rpm.

I checked the brief info of the Boxed P4 etc.
And it really sais:

"Internal thermal sollution with variable speed fan and built-in thermistor."

This is the Motherboard btw, in review :)

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDYw

And the Intel 3.0 Ghz CPU with Hyperthreading 800 FSB.

http://www.intel.com/products/deskt...dex.htm?iid=ipp_browse+featureprocess_p4p_ht&

Brief info on Boxed Pentium 4 with HT tech:

http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/02/97/29738_pentium4_brief.pdf

And the famous intel cpu fan with heatsink that came with CPU:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/images/cpu_pentium4_2.jpg

I moved power to another slot on board and noticed after some research that it wasn't good at all since I actually moved it from CPU Fan pin to Vreg. I also checked the CPU temp and it went up while I made the CPU work harder, but the fan was constant and software complaining about that fan was no moving.. he he..

I changed back and everything was fine.

My guess is that this Intel Fan and heatsink really is noisy. Just have to find me something in Thermaltake style with like 20 db that been tested and works with this little monster.. :)

ROFL!

I figured out what the problem was! It is so simple, but it is nothing one think about directly. I know I will in future.

Imagine 2 fans, 1 dm in front of eachother. Each fan is blowing air from the center.. and then 2 Fans in middle and above blowing air out as well from the center. Like below shown.

........................ ^^
<-----|case fan|~~~~~|CPU Fan|----->

Now.. between these 4 fans, all air will be blown away. Since the CPU fan need air to cool down the heatsink and the CPU it doesn't get the airflow it needs to do this effectivly.

So what happened was that the cooling wasn't effective. Thus the CPU became warmer and since the fan is thermal controlled there was issued that there was needed more airflow and CPU fan got instructions to work harder. That's why it spinned up after a while and gradually ended up on 5500 rpm and that sure produces a lot of vibrations if there is just the slightest degree wrong towards the center of the earth.

So I disabled the case side fan and put the side back on. CPU Fan now does 3200 rpm and the box is VERY much more silent. As silent it can be with 2 fans blowing air in on front, 2 fans blowing air out on back, 1 fan on top blowing air out (corrected typo error) of the box, 2 fans in the ultra silent power box, 1x3 smaller fans in the lian li hard drives cases, 1 fan on radeon 9800 Pro card and 1 Intel CPU fan ;)
(And imho it is acceptable db, really impressed that it doesn't sound more..).

Being a "Fanboi" isn't always good.. :D

Thanks for your help guys (and girls). I will however look for other cooling CPU fans, just because I like to mech with the tech.. ;)

there is something still very wrong about your airflow. your top blowhole fan should blow air out and upwards. unsrew it and flip it around.

the fan that used to blow air away from your CPU fan should be unscrewed and flipped around so it blows into the cpu fan. disbaling that fan is not a good idea.

Sorry.. my bad.. typo error. The top fan blows air out of box. Since warm air raises it is logical to get that warm air out on top and away from the inside. :)

Regarding the left boards Fan that blew air out that I disabled.
Yes.. it should be a good idea to flip it, enable and have air boosted towards CPU Fan.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom