newbie at building a pc...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and i didnt check for savings on the hard drive(s) yet cuz im still not sure how im gonna go about that/those.

..but im guessing another $20 if not more

joy.

But if you ordering from seperate retailers you are paying for the shiping fee's on each item. which probably be what you are saving.

$80 in shipping?
...yea that could be possible...
probably $60..
im not sure ill calculate later.

if all else fails ill rob a convenient store so its a win win situation.

im gonna sleep, ill check here again b4 class.
g'night everybody

hey when i put in the 2 hard drives in a raid configuration, do i just plug them both into the motherboard and configure in BIOS just like that?
or do i have to manually configure a little thing.
like how u have to do stuff with the slave drive and with the jumpers and all that hoo ha.

I told you how to do it somewhere, try page 5 or around there I forget. I told you exactly what to do though.

These are SATA drives, there are no jumpers or master/slave or any of that BS.

alright, cuz im reading alot of web pages that have tutorials of the building process and the mother board configuration. woah. since im going to have to learn all this technical shit i might as well learn overclocking too.
it talked about configuring voltages and jumbers on so many things at the motherboard.
like it was so many things.
it was incredible. like impossible to grasp.
i have alot of studying to do.

god help me-

Now, here is the basic procedure for motherboard configuration:

Read the Manual. Always. Read the listings for settings and locate all jumpers on the motherboard itself and what settings they control.
Set the voltage settings. Most older chips use one single voltage. The newer chips we use today use a split voltage. Most newer motherboards provide jumpers for the core voltage and I/O voltage. Set them to match your intended CPU. If you are using an older chip with one voltage, just set both voltages to be the same. Your best bet to choose the correct voltage is to see what is printed on the CPU itself. Most CPUs will have “core voltage” printed somewhere on it. That is your voltage. Many newer boards are designed to detect the voltage automatically and then use the correct voltage. In this case, you will not have to worry about it.
Set the processor speed. This is not usually done with a single jumper. It is, instead, done by setting the system bus speed and a multiplier. The multiplier is the number which when multiplied by the system bus speed gives the processor speed. There is a separate jumper for each of these settings. Configure these to match the intended CPU. If you know what you're doing and would like to overclock the chip a tad, set these jumpers a little differently. Generally, though, I would recommend actually getting the system working before trying to overclock it. If your manual lists settings by CPU, just do what it says. You can sometimes infer from the manual which switches control voltage, multiplier, etc. Also, watch for chips that use different multiplier settings than they actually use. For example, many 233MHz chips use a 3.5x multiplier, but since some boards don't offer this option, they interpret the 1.5x multiplier to be 3.5x. So, set the bus speed first. Most CPU's are designed to operate on the 66MHz or 100MHz bus, although many choose to operate higher than this or at various speeds in between. After this, set the multiplier. This will depend on the CPU you are using. For example, let's say you are installing a Pentium II-266. You set a bus speed of 66MHz. In order to run the processor at its intended speed of 266MHz, you must set a 4.0x multiplier. 66MHz X 4.0 = 266MHz.

Generally, if your board is jumper-controlled, you will need to consult the manual for the proper jumper arrangement, use the motherboard layout in the manual to find the jumper on the board itself, and use either your finger or tweezers to adjust the jumper to look like the diagram in your manual. When the jumpers in question look like they should in the diagrams, then youÂ’re set. And,, again, if your CPU settings are NOT jumper-controlled, you will be taking bare of all this later on.

Some boards make use of a jumper to set the cache size and type. Set this now, if need be. If you have internal cache, which most do, you won't need to bother. Likewise, some boards give you the ability to use either AT or ATX power supplies. Depending on which type you will be using, you may need to set a jumper to tell the board what type of power to use.

If your board supports the asynchronous SDRAM clock speed, as most boards with Via chipsets do, you need to set the jumpers properly for this as well. This capability allows you to run the memory at a different clock speed than the rest of the system. This comes in handy, for example, when you want to use older memory yet run the rest of the system at the higher bus speed. You can set the system bus speed at 100MHz and then set the memory to run at 66MHz or 75MHz, for example. The instructions for properly setting this up are in your board's manual.

If youÂ’ve done that, most of the configuring is done. Now you want to double-check the other settings that were set by the manufacturer to make sure they are correct. Make sure the CMOS-clear jumper is set to normal so that you can change the BIOS settings later. Make sure the battery jumper is set to onboard battery instead of external battery. If you have a jumper enabling FLASH BIOS, make sure this is disabled. Also, check to see if all jumpers enabling or disabling onboard controllers are set correctly. All these settings are usually set correctly by default, but you need to make sure. Keep in mind that many boards control these feature via their CMOS and you will be setting them after the PC is up and running, not now with jumpers.

I hope you know that is very outdate. Little, if any, of that applies to what your system will be like. Notice they are talking about pentium II's and stuff? You should really check when something is last updated because the technology changes. So basically you reading and studying that stuff is a waste of time and will do you no good. All of that stuff can be configured in BIOS. You won't have to do anything with jumpers on your system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom