help with gaming pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... after some long hour or so, ive configure something that is:
the price is under 1700. id like it lesser, tho. just tell ur suggestions. tell me what i need or dont need from these or something that could be better. 'preciate it. ( i know, i dont know much right now, but im willing to learn ) i love computer games but id like to be able to the insides and outs of gaming performance on computers. ive recently been playing warcraft, cs, cz, etc. at cafés and i hate having to spend so many coins there. i wanna be able to play at home, so i dont have to go out so far. u guys seem to know a lot and i would like to get a new comp soon. so i would really appreciate ur help here. this is what i have, as of late. (im still trying to keep it on budget = $1500 CDN)

EXACT QUOTE

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 WINCHESTER 2.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM

MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM NFORCE3 ULTRA S939 AGP 5PCI SATA

CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 120GB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM IDE 8.5MS 2MB ATA100 OEM

SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR AGP VGA DVI-I TV OUT OEM VIDEO CARD

OCZ POWERSTREAM 420 WATT LOW NOISE POWER SUPPLY

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 24BIT OEM SOUND CARD

LG GCC-4521B 52X24X52 CDRW& 16X DVD COMBO INT EIDE ATAPI OEM W/ CDRW SW

3COM Etherlink XL PCI 10/100 BaseT 3C905C W/ WOL (OEM)

LOGITECH INTERNET PRO DESKTOP BEIGE-GRAY INTERNET KEYBOARD & OPTICAL MOUSE USB OEM (SINGLE PACK)

ARCTIC COOLING COPPER SILENT 2M SOCKETA 1500-2800RPM 15-36CFM 13-24DBA MANUAL SPEED CONTROL

i also want to be careful of overclocking and damaging my hardware. one question, which internet providers are best for gaming systems?

U-Toast said:
stock HS is fine unless ur ocing, which u dont need to.
HD, get a 80 or 160 gb sata (i recommend seagate, they are silent as hell)
PSU, u can get anything between 420 and up. If ur gona oc, u need strong rails, but dont worry about that.

OCZ, thermaltake, and other brands make good psus

modem, mobo should have integrated

can u explain what "ocing" is?

WOW, dude, first of all, let me congratulate you on how much u have learn in the past day, i remeber ur post from yesterday, u didnt seem to know much.

That setup looks very good. few things:
cut out the ethernet card, its integrated in mobo.
very nice PSU, strong rails, itl be good for u.
Dont listen to people who will tell u to get 300$ ram, that one if fine, itl work great.

nothing much i can add

EDIT: internet providers, i have no idea wats available in ur area, just make shur u dont get any, or low bandwidth limits.

Try getting a 3mb+ connection, but its not neccesary, something like 1.5mb will be fine.

1.you don't need sound card
2.you don't need modem or ethernet adapter
3. you COULD get way cheaper mouse/keyboard or you can just use your old ones
4. get a 6600gt NOT a 9800pro

dont worry about overclocking yet, it isnt neccessary for ur purposes, its for those hardcore pc fans who want to get that extra mghz :D.

Just keep all your settings stock, and ull be fine.

anymore question? feel free to ask

EDIT: thx for catching that D2, a 6600GT will perform better than a 9800pro for a few extra $.
and yea hes right, no need of sound card, its all integrated in the motherboard

diabloII said:
1.you don't need sound card
2.you don't need modem or ethernet adapter
3. you COULD get way cheaper mouse/keyboard or you can just use your old ones
4. get a 6600gt NOT a 9800pro

1. what do u mean?
2. same as #1
3. ya i know, but id like a better set than the ones i have now
4. same as #1

U-Toast said:
dont worry about overclocking yet, it isnt neccessary for ur purposes, its for those hardcore pc fans who want to get that extra mghz :D.

Just keep all your settings stock, and ull be fine.

anymore question? feel free to ask

EDIT: thx for catching that D2, a 6600GT will perform better than a 9800pro for a few extra $.
and yea hes right, no need of sound card, its all integrated in the motherboard

alright thnx

i just have something else to ask. i play pc games for long hours -- and i mean long hours -- so i dunno if i should be aware of the temp on my cpu or not. as i said, id like to keep maintainance for as long as i can!

ok, on ur mother board, there will be a sound card, where basically u have the ports to plug in speakers ON the mother board, so it is useless to buy a newone.

Same goes for the ethernet port, it is ON the motherboard.

for the video cards:
the 9800pro is a nice card, but the 6600gt outperforms it greatly, and only costs some 20$ more

EDIT:dont worry bout temps, its fine with that setup

U-Toast said:
ok, on ur mother board, there will be a sound card, where basically u have the ports to plug in speakers ON the mother board, so it is useless to buy a newone.

Same goes for the ethernet port, it is ON the motherboard.

for the video cards:
the 9800pro is a nice card, but the 6600gt outperforms it greatly, and only costs some 20$ more

EDIT:dont worry bout temps, its fine with that setup

6600GT or 6800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom