New low-end processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 2500+ XP-M is good

You just change the front side bus and even multiplier in the bios, even though 2400+ wont work at stock speeds with 3200+ (it turns it into 2100) get 3200. This gives you ALOT of headroom for overclocking

You can also change the multiplier up on mobiles cant you?

The athlon xp-m 2600+ or the 2400+ (35w) are some good choices. I would get the 2600+.

so..sorry to be a noob but could you recommend me some RAM that would be suitable for overclocking? and also which socket A boards are reliable for overclocking? ive noticed that all the XP-M's on newegg have the same fsb(266mhz) why is that? oh and also, what does it mean by the "watt" ?? is it the lower the better??

the lower the wattage on a part the better i guess, but a good board i think is the K7n2 Delta ILSR made by MSI.... can no longer buy it as far as i know...

Well, because the FSB on the XP-M is 133MHz (PC2100) you could save a lot of money, buy faster RAM like PC3200 (200MHz), which means you don't have to worry about loosening timings or upping DIMM voltage until your FSB hits beyond 200MHz.(as a bonus this is ideal for a novice at this stuff; one less thing to worry about :))

The Abit NF7 motherboard is a very popular socket A board, I've handled it before, and I tend to agree with the the majority. Just keep in mind that all Socket A boards will be AGP based so don't go out buying a PCI-E video card.

Lower wattage is pretty much what you're looking for. Lower wattage leads to lower voltage getting pumped through your core which means that A)it'll run cooler to start and give you more temperature headroom to overclock into and B)you can increase the voltage a lot further because you have a larger gap meaning you can stabilize your CPU at higher clock speeds than most other CPUs.

Just remember that once the voltage is increased your temperature will start rising pretty fast so put some money aside for a good heatsink ($50?) so temperatures don't cap your overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom