Help! removing cpu from heatsink *pix*

Status
Not open for further replies.

khmy2nr

Beta member
This is a pentium 4, 478 chip I got from dell and it is time to move it over to another motherboard. After removing the heatsink I notice that the cpu is glued to the heatsink. Sorry for the crappy picture but it looks like there's a silver square tape in between the cpu and the heatsink. Plus I imagine that it is black thermal paste between it as well. Anyone knows how I can do this? I am a little afraid that using a screw driver to seperate the chip will harm or break it. Thanks!
d1cw.jpg

Grab the cpu (BY THE BASE< NOT THE PINS) and heat sink with your hands, and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY pull while twisting. Dont rush it, be gentle, and it should come off fine.

Gonna be hard to clean I think though.

I fyour not going to use that heatsink only i would take a hobby knife with some rubbing alchol, from the heatsink to the tape. if you are try putting in the corners of the tape witha q-tip rub some rubbing achol and try to move it off.

My dad had PC trouble and removed the heatsink. The capacitors were leaking also. Both his mobo and CPU were broken. We don't know if it was caused by the leaking capacitors or taking off the heatsink. (Socket A MSI or Aopen board (dunno), crappy shit, at least that model was)

Anyway, be carefull when removing it.

i have that problem every now and then with my old socket a system... crappy CPU sticks to the heatsink every time... im like HOLY FRACK how does the pins still hang on there? lol

I'am sure I had that same heatskin and same processer, it was litrally glued to the heatskin.

I had to get a creditcard and place it by the sides and twisted the cpu and it poped off although it did go acorss the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom