My first ALIENWARE. Overkill? Maybe. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the above....

I just came upon a new dilemna....

Click Here

Do I buy now or wait another 6 months?
If multitasking is a high priority, I strongly suggest you wait it out, Intel and AMD should both have at least one dual core application (Intel = Pentium D and AMD = Dual Opteron) availible in just a few months time. It has been demonstrated that dual cores clean up at multitasking and you'll notice a big performance increase.

NJRonbo,
Sorry, I didn't have much time to post in a thorough manner earlier.

Puget's website is: http://www.pugetsystems.com

I see they have a preconfigured 64-bit dual Xeon workstation listed on their home page now for about $4,200.

Since you do such heavy multitasking, Photoshop work, DVD-burning, etc., I was going to suggest that you get a dual processor-based system, so I think you're wise to consider that.

I've researched custom PC companies quite heavily over the last year. Although I ended up building my own system, I spoke extensively with the folks at Puget. I'm very particular about components, and they were happy to accommodate me. They can build anything, from your basic budget PC to a high-end super system, like what you're proposing -- and they can do it quickly to boot. You'll see Puget is also conscious of the growing demand for PCs that are powerful yet quiet, if that's at all important to you.

I also talked a lot with Tantus and even got as far as a quote, which I thought was reasonable, given the level of customization, warranty, personal attention, etc. Again, don't be put off by what might appear to be a limited selection of components at Tantus. They were more than happy to get me anything I wanted. Since you know what you want your system to do, I'm sure they'll be happy to work out a configuration tailored to your needs. Also, it may not be apparent from their website, but Tantus can do case mods for you if you need them or want them.

I hope that's a little bit more helpful!

Did I hear someone mention Compaq?Lordy lordy,please don't do that!Compaq may be good for little jeffy to cruise the net or maybe (with blessings from the digital gods) be used for Dad's taxes.....but,even with the HP merger,I would NOT use a Compaq for the kind of high end processing that you have to do.Banish Compaq from your mind.........Oooooooooooooooommmmmm!

Echo_ said:
your better off spending 1500 and 1500 3-4 years from now imo

I completely agree. There is no system that will 'grow old' with you and still be 'cutting edge' years from now. Its just not going to happen. Technology is coming out at such a rapid pace that IMO its not worth it to spend double the money to get the 'cutting edge' system when who knows what will come out in 6 months. The difference between that alienware system and say a $1500 system is not THAT substantial. The newest processors from both AMD and Intel will make a noticeable difference, but those processors will be replaced in a year anyway....then you go spend another 1500 soon after that. Thats the best way to keep 'cutting edge' IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom