installing win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
ok this sounds dumb but im having a hell time trying to install win98se,

anyways, can someoen like give me a exact tutorial how to go through it? using fdisk and everythin ect..?

thanks

spfd said:
ok this sounds dumb but im having a hell time trying to install win98se,

anyways, can someoen like give me a exact tutorial how to go through it? using fdisk and everythin ect..?

thanks

Assuming your CD is bootable:

Go to BIOS, and change your boot sequence to CD first.

Put your Win 98 CD in the drive, and restart your computer.

Hit a key to boot from the CD when prompted, and from the menu you'll see an option of "Start Windows Setup" or something similar to that, so select that option, and the windows setup will start.

If your CD is not bootable, take a boot disk, and boot from it (change boot sequence to boot from floppy)
Restart your computer, and when prompted select "start computer with cdrom support"
This will take you to dos. Now just type the letter of your cdrom (it will be displayed after the computer boots up into DOS) and run setup.exe.

does it go through the POST? (Power On Self Test)
- this just checks what hardware you have and if it has any errors, before loading the Operating System.

the hard drive works fine but when i try to format the partiitions i made it says "trying to reallocate blah blah"

LOL funny that I am having the same problem on a client's PC!
This, or in my case, THESE messages indicate that the format program is having way too much difficulty formatting your drive. This "high level" formatting process only creates the logical formatting structure of the hard disk. In this case, the system will try and re-image the structure of the drive, but if it find bad blocks on the drive then it will attempt to reallocate these blocks.
The system that I was working on was doing this waaaaay too often. The format process was taking over 2 hours and in this particular case, after this amount of time it was only at 17%.
Not saying that this is what you should do, but the only way that I was able to fix it was to "low level" format the drive. This, very basically, physically restructures the disk into sectors and tracks so that the "high level" format can rebuild itself on this new foundation.
After the low level was complete I was able to re-format using the 98 boot disk just fine.

I'm sure that you know you are doing dude, and there are programs to help you through the low-level format process, but I still must warn you. PLEASE be careful with any low-level format process. This is usually done by the drive manu. and can RUIN your drive if not done properly.

-Michael

umm any programs u know?
im on a maxtor quantium fireball or somethin like like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom